Hand saw for earthquake emergency?

Is there a type of hand saw that's particularly suited to cutting out of a collapsed house in an earthquake? It should be easy to cut through a 2x4 and other common support beams in a wood framed house.

Reply to
james

Are you planning on carrying this saw with you at all times?

Do you really expect to be able locate and access this device *after* your house has collapsed?

"Hold on honey! Let me run down to my workshop and grab that "Earthquake Extraction" saw that was recommended by the fine folks over at a.h.r. I'll have us out in a jiffy.

D*mn! Hey Honey? Have you seen my workshop? I can't seem to find it."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

it's always in the back of the sock drawer.

Reply to
charlie

OH! You mean the sock drawer that's buried under the roof?

OK, I'll just use my emergency saw to cut through the framing material to get to the sock drawer so I can use my emergency saw to cut through the framing to get to the sock drawer so I can use my emergency saw...hey wait...something is amiss here.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I suppose something like this would work:

Mike Paulsen

Be very careful cutting anything in a collapsed house unless you know what you're doing. It could cause a further collapse. Someone may need to rescue you.

Reply to
CooperDBM

A cordless sawzall or chainsaw would work for cutting into a wood frame house to find survivors. Forget the idea of sawing yourself out, since when the house collapses on you, you'll be lucky if you can scratch your nose, much less get to a saw and saw your way out.

Reply to
Pete C.

Cutting into I can sort of understand. Cutting out of????????

Reply to
Tony

OK, got my saw...now if I could only get this wall off of my arm I could use it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Those support beams may well still be supporting several tons of crap above my head. I'm not sure I'd fancy chopping through them. I don't think I'd fancy trying to do a structural survey in the dark by feel alone, either.

Carry a doggie biscuit in your pocket at all times; the search dogs will find you more quickly.

Reply to
Jules

Carry a gun in your pocket at all times; that search dog is really a hungry coyote and you are it's intended dinner.

Reply to
Pete C.

Mike Paulsen wrote in news:z6I3n.4964$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.iad:

or this HF 10" flush cut pull saw,item # 94722,for $5.99. (reg.$9.99) I've got one,it's great.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Pete C." wrote in news:4b4f5ff8$0$28271$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

our Florida gators will get you AND the dog for dinner. 8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Not if you attack them with your hand saw.

Reply to
Jules

...assuming you can get to the sock drawer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

...assuming you can get to the sock drawer.

Get the resue dog to sniff his way to it.....

Reply to
Joe

I know people who live in "tornado alley" that have them in their "safe room" My friend John has had two houses destroyed by tornadoes. I think he has damned near enough tools to get out of his house as it would take to rebuild it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

tornados are god's hint telling you to move. god knocked on his front door twice, but no one's home evidently.

Reply to
charlie

I have numerous handsaws, not one is specifically for sawing your way out of a collapsed house. Cutting away wood may lead to your demise--it might be safer to stay calm and put, save your energy, and call for help at strategic times.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thus the advantage of those paper shacks they talk about.

Reply to
Bob F