Hand saw for earthquake emergency?

I don't live in "tornado alley" or in a earthquake prone area, so I might wrong here, but don't you typically get some type of warning before a tornado totals the place, thus giving you time to get into your safe room?

AFAIK you don't typically get that kind of warning before an earthquake.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

james wrote the following:

Just carry a bunch of sticks of dynamite with you at all times.

Reply to
willshak

stihl chainsaw. Carry it on you.

Reply to
Steve Barker

A phaser pistol from Star Trek would do the trick.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've lived through a couple of nasty California earthquakes... but nothing close to the scale of collapsing buildings.

Having said that; since the 94 quake, I've kept a nice heavy 30" crow bar at the foot end of my bed tucked between the mattresses. Even painted it white to help it stand out in dim light conditions. Along with it I keep a 2 'D' cell Mag Light, and religiously change the batteries every 2 (calendar) years.

I'm sure the crow bar would come in handy to break windows, and clear out any jagged glass remaining in the frames, and/or 'swat' through jammed doors should the house be shaken out of plumb. Could beat through plaster/stucco walls with it too, but it would take a few minutes.

I have another identical crow bar in the front room, tucked just out of sight behind the sofa. Note that both it and the one in the bedroom, (if kept dry) will require zero maintenance for many, many life times to come.

Should the house collapse and I'm trapped? All bets are off

Just my .02¢ worth. I hope none of us ever needs such tools... but knowing they are there, at least makes me sleep a little sounder...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Reply to
Michael B

You need a chain saw and a concrete cutting gas powered saw. No electricity expected after a quake.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Except there'll be a lot of debris in the way. Maybe they make hand saws for canine use?

Reply to
Jules

re: "Note that both it and the one in the bedroom, (if kept dry) will require zero maintenance for many, many life times to come. "

Uh...like you wouldn't use a rusty crowbar to clear an exit if need be? ;-)

"D*mn! Should have kept it dry. Now it useless!"

P.S. If the one between the mattresses gets wet, you've got other issues to deal with.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have read that back in the day in tornado country, when the "safe room" was the storm cellar, it was standard practice to take the axe down there with you in case the house landed on top of it. Some people trapped in their attics in New Orleans probably could have used one too. Although as someone pointed out, you don't get any warning time with earthquakes. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Ohh! from the subject heading, I thought you meant a saw to get you out when your hand is caught. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

A pouch of PETN in your wallet would do it.

Reply to
Bob F

What I was getting at, is that the bars are useful for a lot of things in an emergency, 'robust', self contained and require no maintenance. all you really need to do is remember where they are...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

If earthquakes are fairly common in your area, perhaps you should consider something more substantial than a saw...

Reply to
HeyBub

Camping section of Walmart, about ten bucks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Metal crowbar likely to bounce around, a bit. Might not be where you left it. I'd rather have one and have a fighting chance. Rather than be collapsed in, and no chance.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd rather have a saw, and have a chance of getting at it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or, the sewer rats, or the feral dogs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, the dogs are trained to avoid food and dead corpses. The training teaches them to only find live bodies. Something to do with scents?

Reply to
Oren

Good idea. Keep it in the sock drawer..... :-)

Reply to
Joe