halogen bulb / incandescent bulb dimming

Hi Folks ; We have installed new range hood that has a 2-bulb 3-step dimmer. Broan manual says to install PAR 20 halogen / R16 incandescent -
- I'm told that LED even dimmable will not work. True / False ? R16 incandescant seems un available .. Halogen is hot & harsh ...
Any other suggestions are welcome ... 2 40 watt appliance lights might do for now ...
John T.
On 11/23/18 5:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Some R16's here: https://www.bulbs.com/Medium_ (E26)-Base/results.aspx?Ntt=r16
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:45:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Part 2 Question :
Does dimming a halogen bulb         save energy ? Does dimming an incandescent bulb     save energy ?
We tend to use the range hood as a night light ..
John T.
On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 5:55:36 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Yes and yes. It also increases the life.
On 11/23/2018 03:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

A halogen bulb is an incandescent. Assuming a modern dimmer and not the old rheostats that created heat rather than light, a little. A triac clips part of the cycle so no power is being used.
The catch is an incandescent light is less efficient when operating outside of its designed range. In other words, you get fewer lumens per watt even while using fewer watts.
If you just want a nightlight the best solution would be to buy a plug-in nightlight. There's a wide selection for under $USD 10.
To put it in perspective you probably can find more loose change in the sofa than you're going to save in the long run.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:59:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Dimming incandescent bulbs - including Halogens - DOES save energy - even if the dimming is done with an autotransformer (rheostats virtually never used) In answer to the first part of the question, it depends what kind of "3 step dimmer" is used. I've seen 2 step dimming implemented by switching in a half wave rectifier. If by "3 step" you nean off, dim, and bright, that is likely what you have and an LED bulb will not dim (and may not even light) in the dimmed position.
Another option is series/parallel switching - in which case removing one bulb will disable lights in dim position.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:59:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Put an S-20 sign bulb in it. (11w)
That will not be too hot for anything that can take a Halogen "R" or not.

Corse it does.

Corse it does.

Makes a lot more sense to have a dedicated night light there and to use a LED for that.
[snip]

However, keep in mind (in addition to what everyone else has mentioned) that reducing the (effective) wattage of a halogen may very well, _unlike with a standard incandescent_, lead to a _reduction_ in its life span.
Reasons are left as an exercise to the student.
Again, that's a "may very well". It depends on the exact design/manufacture.
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 02:47:47 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

As long as the bulb is run "at temperature" for a while every once in a while to allow the halogen cycle to re-deposit the tungsten the lifespan is not badly affected.
As an example, when cars run the halogen headlights at half intensity as DRLs it doesn't harm them. The headlights in my '96 Ranger were still the original bulbs at 360000km and 22 years - - - -I changed the optics at that point, and they came with new bulbs. I still have the original halogens in a box. They were possibly down a bit in output but there is no tungsten deposits on the glass, so the halogen cycle was doing it's job.
Lowered voltage may not extend the life of a halogen bulb as much as a simple tungsten bulb, but it will not actually reduce the lifespan and the tunsten deposits on the glass envelope WILL be redeposited on the filament after a short time operating at design voltage/temperature.
On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 5:42:18 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Why not just try it? How the power supply in LEDs reacts to the various types of dimmers is the issue. If the LED is rated to work with the common dimmers I would think it would work.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:45:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 20:59:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Readilly available here in Canada at local hardware stores, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Home DFespot etc. Being "specialized" bulbs they are not affected by the "incandescent ban".

... define " readily " ! :-) .. we tried 3 or 4 Home Hardware Stores before finding < the last > 2. on the shelf. Lowes had a huge selection of every-bulb-imaginable - but not this one ... We'll see how these 2 perform and likely switch to halogen if these prove too difficult to source, in future .. John T.
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 11:23:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Local Home Despot had several on the shelf. Kitcxhener Home Hardware did too a few weeks back. I can always order them from City Electric or Guillevin or any of the other local wholesalers too.
They are not a "fast mover" so stores may be phasing them out. Buy a few spares when you find them