Gutter covers? Recommendations Needed

We currently have those 2 ft long white plastic gutter covers that clip to the edges of the gutters and slide under the shingle with perforated holes in them (purchased at Home Depot). They're very effective in keeping leaves and branches out of the gutters but do nothing to keep dirt/mud from piling up inside the gutter.

Consequently, the gutters now need to be cleaned out to get all the mud/crud that's built up over the past 2-3 years. Normally, I wouldn't think it's a big deal to clean them every 2-3 years but the way our house is built, it's a major PITA to get up on the roof and clean them.

I've seen all kinds of gutter covers advertised that tout that they're the best/affordable however before I put down any money on any particular system, I thought I ask if anyone here has had any good/bad experiences with any particular type of system and also if anyone has any recommendations on a good cover to install.

Reply to
nospam

No screen that I know of keeps the fine detritus out. If it were fine enuf mesh to do that, it would plug up in no time. Much of the mud is just rain wetted airborne dust that accumulates over time on the roof, and much of the rest is mineral grains and fine detritus that come loose from the shingles. When I replaced my gutters I left the screens off, they were so much work, but then again I have a low pitch roof that is easy to get onto. As you have difficult roof access, you might consider some kind of hinged screen that reduces the work of getting under it for cleaning.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net" wrote on 13 Jul 2005:

How about getting up on a ladder, pulling out one piece, and using a high pressure hose to blow the mud down the gutter as far as possible? Replace the piece, move down the gutter, and repeat. I should think that you could get away with climbing the ladder about

5 times per side of the house.
Reply to
Doug Boulter

I had gutter helmet in my last house. COsts a mint and was worthless. This house has Leafguard brand gutters with built in helmets. 8 years old and the gutters are still spotless. Only issue is that in the most difficult valleys during the heavies storms there will be some water that doesn't go into the gutter but the topping acts like a sky lift and the water ends up

10 feet from the foundation so it still isn't a problem. Only real problem is that they cost a lot.

Reply to
Art