dry environment and air conditioning

I seem to remember 50% relative humidity as a standard. What about pans of water. I grew up in a Wisconsin house with radiators. filling specially constructed pans on top of the radiators was daily chore. TB

Reply to
tbasc

With the heat wave I have been using air conditioning for three days in a row (central air). The relative humidity is now at 35% (too dry!!)and I am wondering if I should use a humidifier? The outside temperature is 41 celcius here in Southern Ontario.

Thanks for any advise!

M.

Reply to
Montenegro

The problem is most humidifiers I have seen use some form of heat to help increase the humidity. You don't what that. What you may want is something like a swamp cooler that is often used in very dry areas. Somehow I doubt if that would be a great idea in the long run however.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Agreed. Maybe he can raise his thermostat? Hey! 80 degrees at 35% humidity ought to be pretty comfortable.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Congratulations. You must have one of those fairly airtight Canadian houses.

A portable swamp cooler would work, or increasing the AC airflow? There are lots of ways to increase the RH. Green plants, foutains in series with humidistats, indoor misters, damp basement floors...

The ASHRAE 55-2004 standard says 80 F at 55% would be comfortable.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Very useful tips!

I am doing the 80 F at 55, and I am saving energy, sleeping better (not as cold as before!) ana having less problems of drying skin and dry nose and eyes.

Thanks so much to all of you

Montenegro

Reply to
Montenegro

I can tell you from experience the past two weeks, that 80 degrees F at 55%-60% humidity feels much better than 76 degrees at 80% humidity

We've been having some rather warm temps (upstate NY) and walking into the house from outside it's incredible the difference the humidity makes. I never ran AC in the whole house before and was amazed at the difference it makes.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

The ASHRAE 55-2004 standard says you would be more comfy at 76/80.

Nick

20 CLO = 1'clothing insulation (clo) 30 MET=1.1'metabolic rate (met) 40 WME=0'external work (met) 50 VEL=.1'air velocity 70 DEF FNPS(T)=EXP(16.6536-4030.183/(TA+235))'sat vapor pressure, kPa 80 DATA 80,57.5 90 DATA 78.707,80 100 FOR CASE = 1 TO 2 110 READ TA,RH 120 TA=(TA-32)/1.8 130 TR=TA 140 PA=RH*10*FNPS(TA)'water vapor pressure, Pa 150 ICL=.155*CLO'clothing resistance (m^2K/W) 160 M=MET*58.15'metabolic rate (W/m^2) 170 W=WME*58.15'external work in (W/m^2) 180 MW=M-W'internal heat production 190 IF ICL
Reply to
nicksanspam

No offense, but at 80% humidity, the air feels like a damp blanket clinging to your skin.

Maybe if the wind was blowing, it would feel better.

Tony

Reply to
Tony