Guide To Lubricating A Sticky Door Lock & Key

The two locks on my front door were becoming very difficult to operate and sometimes the key would become stuck inside the keyhole. I was ready to go buy new locks, but then I remembered how my grandfather would use graphite powder as a dry lubricant for delicate pocket watches.

I took pictures of the lubrication process and wrote up a guide. The total cost for the lubricant was about $5 ordered online.

Here's the guide -

The locks work great now and require very little effort to operate.

Cheers, Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Reply to
Paul Michaels

If you want to really get fancy. Take both locks off the door, and hold them upside down, so that gravity can pull the graphite into the moving parts. And then graphite them, and run the key in and out.

That's a good web page. Thanks for sharing.

Question: Why did you buy graphite online, instead of getting at Walmart for a buck and a half, or so?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon