Ground covering for dog run

We moved, and instead of having a full size yard for our two dogs, we have an area of about 400 sq ft. The dogs are fairly big, about eighty pounds each.

The ground covering was originally ivy. That doesn't work well because the dog crap falls down below the surface where you can't see it to clean it up. So, we're pulling up all the ivy, knowing that we have to lay something else down.

My wife wants sod, but the dogs are female, and I'm pretty sure that the sod won't last too long, if it ever takes root at all. I think wood chips are out because they'll soak up urine. Rocks are also out because dog urine and excrement will sink to the bottom.

We're looking at artificial grass, but we don't have any experience with it. Its either that or dirt, unless there's an alternative I don't know about.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or shared experiences in this area.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

we used gravel in our dog run...............................real easy to clean up!

Reply to
rosie read and post

Walk the dogs, and clean up , use gravel, yes clean it up. daily

Reply to
m Ransley

Best dog runs I ever had were a mixture of concrete and grass. Concrete is easy to clean and prevents digging out. I had escape artists. Even had a cover over the top. Slope the concrete to the grass. I used 60 % concrete and 40% grass. I laid sod over a gravel, sand and soil bed. About 1 foot thick. Drained very well. In the heat of the summer I had to water it every day. Sod will work best if installed and left alone for awhile to root. Stream washed pebbles are not so bad to walk on.

Reply to
SQLit

I would pour a concrete pad with a drain to the sewer. hose it down!

Reply to
Punch