It looks like we have a mold problem in one room of our house and I am
wondering what can be done to prevent/cure it? The room is adjacent
to our (open) kitchen and the mold statrs in the corners and works its
way up the wall (it's an exterior wall). We clean it regularly with
some warm water and washing-up liquid but it always returns.
We've bought a small de-humidifier but this doesn't seem to be helping
much. In the past we used to dry clothing over the radiators but
we've stopped this recently too as I'm sure it was a contributing
factor. Is there anything else that can be done to stop these mold
spores coming back?
Warm climate? Air conditioning? What kind of surface - paint, wall
paper, etc? I'd clean it thoroughly with household detergent, water and
a bit of bleach.
You could have just poor air circulation, with humidity and cooking
fumes accumulating close to the kitchen. Got an exhaust fan? There
could be a leak with moisture getting into the wall from unsealed
window, gaps in fascia or roof leak. If the wall is not adequately
insulated, you could have condensation if the outside of the wall is
cold, but it wouldn't seem likely to start in the corners, as they
should be more solid. Look for the logical - mildew needs food and
water to grow. If there is a leak from outside, then the mold is
probably IN the wall, not ON it. I'd start by keeping it dry and
circulating the air better. Always do a regular walk-around to check
openings or need for paint on the exterior. Little openings are big
entries for water and pests. Is this a laundry room? Dryer vent secure?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.