6mm Laminant Flooring =Good or Bad ?

I am able to get a really good deal on some laminant flooring, but it is only 6mm thick.. I really know nothing about this stuff, hence the reason for posting here. Hoping someone could help me out a bit..

I can get the 6mm stuff for $0.89 (Canadian) per foot, or the 7mm stuff for $1.01(Canadian) per foot

I know that these are really good prices, and thats why I want to go ahead and do the basement floor. But what I need to know is:

1.) Is the 6mm or 7mm stuff thick enough? or should I really go with the more expensive stuff? I noticed that the tongue and groove are pretty thin on the cheaper stuff, will it show any lines/grooves when the floor is done? Again it will be used in my basement on concrete floor which is pretty level throughout.

2.) What kind of foam underlay do I get? any thickness in particular?

3.) Do I absolutely need to vapour barrier the floor, or is that an option? and what are the advantages to this?

Note: I will not be putting this on a sub-floor. It will be directly on the concrete.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Reply to
sx

You know you get what you pay for. Instead of thinking more _expensive_ for better quality, just think quality and of course you know it costs more. I believe you already know this, but are looking for a way to lessen the cost which you are already doing if you DIY.

Vapor barrier over concrete is not an option, but a must.

Manufacturers recommend certain underlayments for the padding, usually a choice of standard-better-best, go the most you can afford, this is the mattress for you feet.

You should read up on installation of such products, laminate calls for close tolerances on being flat/level. Don't guess it looks level, you must check it.

6mm is awful thin, I would recommend at least 8mm.

The good deal is not such a good deal all things considered.

Reply to
Duke