Grass growing on my lawn (are the seeds the same as grass seeds?)

I realize this is an (uneducated) funny question ... but ... I am confused.

Over the winter, I didn't cut my grass so it now looks like this:

Those things on the end of the stalks must be grass seeds, right?

But, if they are, how come they don't 'look' like the grass seeds that I purchase from the store (tall fescue)?

A related question is whether or not it's a good idea to let that grass grow that tall so that it reseeds the lawn all by itself.

Note: I realize these are confused questions ... as I'm confused because it seems to me that what is on the ends of those stalks must be seeds but it doesn't look like the stuff I buy in the store. What am I missing?

Reply to
Martin C.

"Martin C." wrote in news:jm5k8p$gcj$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Some dumbass is going to call the town to report you for having tall grass.

Reply to
Earl

On 4/11/2012 11:04 PM, Martin C. wrote: ...

Well, will be when the seed sets and matures...what you have there is the late bloom stage.

--

Reply to
dpb

I did not know this...

Reply to
Martin C.

Ah, I see.

When do they become 'seeds' ?

Reply to
Martin C.

After they are fully mature, if you break open (thresh) the pods, you will get seeds like those you buy. How many will be viable, compared to in commercial supply, I dunno.

If you let the lawn grow out like that and reseed, you'll get a ton of other grasses and weeds along with the original.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

that's because it's not true. Jesus! I've never seen so much mis-information in my life as i've seen on this thread.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Depends on whether it's an annual or not--if it is (and it looks very much like one of the wild annuals we have here from the seed head but not clear enough picture to tell for certain) it will indeed die after seed matures (of course, it won't over-winter even if don't let it go to seed, either in that case but...)

As for "confusing" it; it's far more confused by the endless cutting than by going to seed...that's what it's _trying_ to do! :)

Reply to
dpb

From your pic, I see those things are "grass fruit". Take them off carefully and put on your food.

Reply to
Earl

Kinda like corn. ;-)

They are food. ;-)

Reply to
krw

A couple other links on grasses...one more towards forage, but still informational and slightly more technical than the other descriptive mostly altho has a little more on nutrients, etc., and is pointed to the lawn grasses...

Reply to
dpb