Granite Counter - Installer/supplier suggestions

I'm doing a full kitchen remodel. All new cabinets, countertops, floor and appliances. The new design is still a small kitchen with about

40sqft of counter surface. I have a granite counter top estimate of $2500 installed which seems reasonable, but I'm hoping I might be able to better?

I'm flexible on my timline - haven't started yet, I'm I willing to push the start date if waiting will bring down the price. I'm looking for a darkish black/grey granite, hopefully with some browns and yellow in the mix, but a minimum of green specs/tint.

To the point - does anyone know of a reputable installer/supplier that might be able to match or beat the price above in the Charlotte, NC area??

Oh yeah, I haven't priced undermount sinks yet, but the granite contractor said to expect $300-400 installed (not plumbing though) for a basic stainless steel model. Again sounds reasonable, but any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated on this front. Thanks!

Reply to
sdoneill

Those prices sound reasonable. It never hurts to shop around or ask for a discount though.

Reply to
ben.aust

If you want to know what you'll really pay, you need to figure out which stone you like. There are lots of kinds with the colors you mentioned, and prices vary a lot.

Don't rely on small samples you can see at design centers. Go to the distributor, where you can see entire slabs (8x12 feet or so). The 6 inch squares they'll show you at Lowe's or wherever won't give you a good sense of the larger design elements or the amount of variation you'll see in your counter. What's more, the squares are probably from years ago, and the same quarry is likely producing stone that looks somewhat different. The one I had in mind turned out to have more orange in the slabs than the little sample, so it clashed with other things in the kitchen and didn't work.

Reply to
ccs>ikyr

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1139524292.801743.192020 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I'm in the countertop stage right now in my kitchen renovation. My square footage was 48 sq feet, and I paid $3400 for absolute black was the name of the granite. It was in a c group, where d was the most expensive.

I was surprised at the sink prices. I went to a specialty store, and I got a 10" deep single bowl, 17 guage, wich is fairly thick. It's 29" wide. It listed for $720 and I got it half off because it was a return, but never opened. The local home stores only had 2 or 3 20 guage undermount sinks, about 6" deep. And the countertop people took the sink with them when he made the template, so I assume the sink will be attached when they come back with the counter.

Reply to
Steve

I bought a 16 gauge undermount Italian stainless steel double bowl sink off ebay for $230.00. I have seen similar sinks ranging $600-$800. Here is a link:

to the actual store, it's even cheaper buying direct.

As a side note, I picked up a $300.00 Moen 87560SL faucet off ebay for

115.00. Can't beat plumbing deals off ebay :)

The granite quote I got was 59.00 a square foot installed for a level "D" Blue Pearl granite. This price changes drastically I see from state to state.

Reply to
Zzyzx

Any tips on where to find an incounter style single bowl kitchen sink? I will look on eBay as well.

Reply to
GotBonus?