Grab Bars in a Shower Stall

Per Arnie Goetchius:

I would say the real issue is what happens when/if it comes loose when somebody grabs it - either for balance or to break a fall.

Waaaaay beyond "Interesting".

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I plan to grab it every day just to see if it has come loose. I don't need it yet, just planning for the future.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Wouldn't it be less effort to just properly install a grab bar?

Reply to
Tom Turquía

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:03:21 +0000, Stormin' Norman wrote in

This has been a very popular thread; no doubt because of all the old crips in here. Another topic that I think you oldies would be interested in is "walkers"

Lots of nice one there.

Good luck.

Reply to
VinnyB

I'd like to do that eventually. Use of this device gives me a chance to determine where I would actually want to install the grab bar. One issue is that this grab bar would go on the wall where the shower head and faucet handles are located and I'm not sure where the studs are.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

In some houses, there is an access panel on the other side of the faucet wa ll so the shower plumbing can be serviced. If you have an access panel, you should be able to see the studs. If not, you could open the wall and then add a trimmed out access panel for future use.

You can make your own and trim it out to match your other trim or you can buy pre-made access panels, e.g.

Obviously, the location of the panel and how it fits in with the layout of your rooms would factor into that decision.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You may find it best mounted vertical to hold as you enter/exit the shower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's what I did. One thing I DON'T need is my wife saying "I told you so" when either she or I are laid up after a slip/fall and the bar comes loose in hand!!!!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT"

Reply to
clare

That is what I have done. My wife sits in a chair when taking a shower so it will help her get up from the chair with it installed vertically

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

You are going to install a suction cup mount so your wife can pull herself up and out of her chair?

Methinks that's a really terrible idea.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I agree with that. It may work, but they are designed to steady yourself, not to act as a pull bar.

My wife uses the horizontal bar in back of the shower when getting up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

To be more precise, she will get up out of the chair using the arms of the chair to help her stand up. After she opens the shower door, she will then use the grab bar to steady herself as she walks out of the shower.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Wow! That's quite different from "it will help her get up from the chair".

Interesting.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Correct. Should have explained the details this first time around

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Here are the results of an age survery for this NG taken about 10 months ago. This is our kind of place! If anybody wants to add to it, please do so.

bob_villain 70 Bob Haller 59 clare s 64 CRNG 69 dadOH 82 Ed P 70 Frank 76 FrozenNorth 55 Gordon 67 Kurt V 61 My 2 Cents 67 net cop 70 Oren 64 PaintedCow 65 Shade_Tree 69 T 58 Tony H 76

Avg 67 Median 67 StDev 7

Reply to
CRNG

Arnie Goetchius 85

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

In that case, it will work well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Until it doesn't.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Per CRNG:

Pete Cresswell: 75.

Geeze, and I thought *I* was the old guy....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Oren posted for all of us...

But that's not a life safety issue...

Wait a minute, it was with the maroon who climbed Trump tower. Of he safetied off every time so I don't know how confident he was.

Reply to
Tekkie®