Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

No, the deposits did it. The price of the metal didn't have anything to do with it back then, AL only got expensive in this decade.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Wed 26 Dec 2007 03:19:50p, Jim Yanik told us...

I think the racks can accomodate 4 biles. I'm sure the bus capacity is at least 35. Having said that, it's not likely the majority of bus riders bring along a bike. I ride neither tue bus nor bike to work, as I am not anywhere near a bus route and I live 36 miles from work.

My boss, who is a frequest iron man competitor, routinely rides his bike to work several or more times per week (no bus for him). He lives about 20 miles from work.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

The price of oil is so high that every oil company is rolling in profits. You are clueless.

There simply is *no* technology that allows it, and nobody is working on developing it either. "Same basic technology" means you haven't got a clue what the technology even is!

So why don't you just provide an example. I've shown you exactly where the current directional drilling technology is in fact used, and the limits of what it can do. Try demonstrating in any way you want that the Alpine Field is not pushing the limits!

Deeper is *not* the problem. The problem is drilling for 7 to 25 *miles* horizontally. Currently nobody even drills that far in a vertical well, never mind horizontally.

(And no you did not specify "non oil well projects", but that would hardly make a bit of difference anyway, as non-oil well drilling is absolutely irrelevant.)

No there aren't. Please, cut the BS.

Giggle snort.

Then why is it you can't cite *anything* that supports your claims. No examples. Nothing at all that references any of the "facts" you claim.

So why don't you just provide some examples of the claimed facts?

Then show something...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

So why did you vote for Kerry last time around, Kanter?

So the man had a problem, and overcame it -- and had the stones to admit it on national television, too. Perhaps on your planet, that makes him an object of derision; to most people on this planet, it's worthy of admiration.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Time for a reality check. Molasses has killed more people in the United States than nuclear power generation. There was no evacuation plan in place in Boston on 15 Jan 1919 when this happened:

Doug Miller

Speaking of idiots, Kanter -- how did you possibly miss the fact that an increasing abortion rate means a declining birth rate?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, that's why you *never* see discarded soda and beer cans on the side of the road.

Reply to
Doug Miller

One significant difference has eluded you, Kanter (not that it's any surprise): there's no government mandate requiring a deposit on the beer keg. That's solely the result of the free market.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Time for a reality check. Boston is not a peninsula.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No. Your president is broken. He wasn't always this way.

JoeSpareBedroom

And this is relevant how? The point is, Kanter, that accidents happen in all sorts of ways -- and nuclear power generation is, historically, safer than even molasses storage.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Imagine if the subject had involved 100w bulbs instead!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's relevant, Miller. Flag down the nearest toddler for help with understanding this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sorry you're having so much trouble understanding this. I'll try to make it simple enough for even you to grasp:

Accidents happen.

*Nobody* has ever been killed in the U.S. by an accident involving nuclear power generation.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9A12EDDA95DDFwayneboatwrightatgma@69.28.173.184:

You either miss my point or are evading it,concerning the limited spaces available for bikes on busses;only a FEW can do it,or else the bus gets filled and bikers have to wait for the next bus with bikerack space. There's no room for increasing bikers on the busses.So bus riders/mass transit riders HAVE to walk or pay for a cab to get to their end destination,from their busstop.

I hope there's a shower where you work! Otherwise;EWWWW,skunkola!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:LKNcj.1161$6%. snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

not necessarily;it could mean an increasing pregnancy rate. (and to the people least likely to raise decent,law-abiding citizens)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Not _quite_ true -- nobody has been killed in a nuclear accident, but there have been a few non-nuclear-related industrial accidents at nuclear generation facilities--steam burns and falls, etc.

There has not been a nonworker fatality nor, to the best of my knowledge, a confirmed injury to any member of the general public however.

Reply to
dpb

OK, even including such peripherally-related accidents, nuclear power generation still has a safer historical record than, among other things, the conversion of molasses to industrial alcohol.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh fer shure...I wasn't arguing, only trying to clarify/amplify...commercial nuclear generation has one of if not the best safety record of any industry segment in not only the US but all of the developed countries utilizing LWR technology(*).

This, of course, is owing to the extreme diligence of the operating utilities w/ stringent operating rules combined w/ what is probably the most extensive use of safety features and designs with lesser regard to implementation costs in any commercial activity.

The down side of the latter combined of course w/ the fervent denial of any possibility of any risk whatever of the JoeBedroom's of the world is that we have neglected to develop the most appropriate technology there is for large-scale electrical power generation at the expense of wasting prodigious amounts of natural gas and oil and continuing to require older, less-efficient and more polluting coal-fired units to remain on-grid to make up the difference. Combined w/ the previously discussed decision during the Carter administration to not close the nuclear fuel cycle we have in a remarkably shortsighted fashion arrived at the present dilemma.

(*) France generates some 80% of their power via nuclear.

Reply to
dpb

A worker was killed by direct radiation at an experimental reactor in Idaho (not commercial power generation).

Some people were killed by direct radiation at Chernobyl, including firemen spraying water on the reactor. And many in the general population died from more indirect effects, like fallout. Different reactor type than US. None of these fit Doug's 'nobody killed in the US in power generation'.

I don't remember the radiation released from Three Mile Island, but there could have been indirect deaths as at Chernobyl. And uranium miners have died from radon breakdown or other radiation effects.

Coal miners have died from black lung.

And people have died from polluting effects from coal burning. Indirect deaths, like from nuclear, don't leave fingerprints.

I agree that, bottom line, nukes are reasonable sources of power.

Reply to
bud--