Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

I wonder if he's indebted to the Saudi royal family yet, like the last 5 presidents.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes. Cans. The metal things that you and your suspected family flatten with your heads and glue to the walls of your double-wide because you think it looks festive that way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then, there's real trouble. A person may have to wait for the next bus. Usually, the TV stations show up to interview the bike owner and it's all over the news later that day.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Wrong. If that were true, as pointed out they would

*currently* be drilling horizontally into ANWR. They aren't. The reason is because what you are suggesting is simply ridiculous blather from your over active imagination.

If that were true, they'd be doing it. Nobody is! Basic fact: it ain't true.

1) The "underlying technology" does not exist. 2) There are hundreds of wells on the North Slope "reaching the depths necessary", which has no significance at all. 3) There are no wells *anywhere* that reach the necessary *length* (7 to 25 miles).

Oh, now you just say all it needs is the money...

Given that some people have been going bonkers about drilling in ANWR for over 25 years, if it was true... why isn't the money available?

There is only one reason: what you say is false.

Ha ha. Now you're getting silly. They were supposedly chomping at the bit to get at it when oil was selling for less that $15 a barrel, and now with peaks hitting 6 times higher, and every oil company has had record profits for months, and you claim somebody is waiting for favorable financial conditions???

You are a joke.

You can't support a word of it with references or cites to credible sources. Logically what you have said is simply silly.

The technology is not there. It isn't even close, and nobody is headed in that direction.

If that were true, those lease sales just offshore of ANWR would have gone for big dollars. Nobody even bid on one of them.

If that were true, the leases on the eastern side of ANWR would be merrily drilling away as we speak. They aren't.

Right now the cost for production of a barrel of oil on the North Slope is less that 20% of the market value for that barrel of oil. If what you are saying were true, every producer on the Slope would be trying to extract oil from ANWR *now*.

In fact, no oil company has shown any interest at all in ANWR for years. Nothing close to ANWR has attracted any attention either. Moreover the State of Alaska is actually taking back some leases close to ANWR because of no activity!

Pete, you just simply need to stop making up what you'd like things to be, do a little research or don't post at all.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

But it wasn't anything like the distances which ANWR would require.

The thing with large reservoirs like those in Kuwait/Iraq is that from a location right on the border, a well that angles a mile or so horizontally could then drain an area several square miles in size.

The geology in ANWR is distinctly different, with oil caught in many very small pockets even within a given reservoir. Directional drilling allows a well to break into those pockets and extract oil that would not otherwise drain into any central point being pumped by a vertical well.

Basically Pete hasn't go a clue what the technology does, and is making up a fantasy to suit his needs.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

Look into the security around a nuclear facility and decide how you're going to move that 1500 lb in an 13-14' long fragile-horizontally-oriented, radioactive piece of material in the presence of all sorts of radiation alarms, etc., w/o _somebody_ in the know knowing....that's all.

You're proposing the totally ludicrous hypothetical w/o a shred of plausibility of how it could be accomplished. Useful as scare tactics for the uniformed or apparently to feed your neuroses, but beyond that of little interest to anyone w/ any information at all.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, on, in my judgment, ill-informed decision-making to satisfy the "anti's", not on a realistic assessment of risks of the plant itself in comparison w/ other risks of far higher likelihood and consequences.

--

Reply to
dpb

Our own military is paying people to dream up scenarios they (and you) haven't thought of yet.

Box cutters. Who'd a thought, ya know?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You've never driven in Long Island. Now, hush, until you have.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When ANWR was big in the news a few years ago, various experts were interviewed for their projections as to what percentage of our oil could be provided by wildly successful drilling in the region. If I recall, even the oil companies were tossing around numbers like 4%. Maybe this is why there's not much interest in the region.

I'm a big proponent of adding together small advantages to get a bigger one, but at some point, one must say "Get serious, or fuhgettaboutit".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Very young children and the oldest adults would be hardest hit. (Women and minorities, too, of course.) They would, however, have to consume large quantities of seriously contaminated water.

For the bulk of the rest of the consumers, they would probably ingest (probably) about the equivalent of a couple or three chest x-rays. Given that the average adult is traditionally UNDER-hydrated, the effect would probably be less.

It would take a *LOT* of ground-up, spent fuel rods to successfully (fatally) contaminate an open reservoir serving 3-million consumers.

Such hypotheticals are wonderful entertainment for those that preoccupy themselves with dead-end scenarios but of little concern to those with an otherwise "normal" life.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

As far as you know.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's true. I've seen footage of the containers being dropped from the 10th floor onto a vertical pike, rammed broadside by a speeding locomotive, driven at 65 mph on the trailer of a semi into a barrier of solid concrete.

Zippo. No breech of containment. The semi was "vaporized" and the massive concrete barrier was pretty scarred, but the nuke container survived virtually unscathed.

But it's not good enough...

Did you happen to see the cry-baby, ponytail guy on the History Channel the other night that maintained that such containers are NOT sufficient. An accident could STILL release radiation.

Translation: No matter how well spent nuke fuel is contained, it should not be transported. For that matter, such fuel shouldn't be used in the first place. These are the REAL "flat earth" people. Amazing.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

So pick up your box cutters and go try to steal some spent fuel rods. Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's public forum, NetNanny. Get over it.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Wait, WAIT!! I know!! [Furiously waving hand over head]

It involves a UFO, shape-shifting and time travel.

(What do you MEAN that's not reasonable?)

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Either one would be better than what we've been living with for the past seven years.

Reply to
CJT

Ah, the ever popular innuendo.

Reply to
CJT

I take it back: When I said you were "sophomoric" I was obviously too complimentary.

-- JR

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Birth rate is a pretty good proxy, though -- and the U.S. birth rate was

*much* lower after the Roe vs. Wade decision than before it.
Doug Miller