Good battery backup sump pump

Hello,

I recently had my 1 1/2 year-old sump pump break (a cheap one that the plumber installed). I'm looking for a decent sump pump with a battery backup system built in, something with 6+ hours of constant run-time. I've read up on the Basement Watchdog series pumps, which Home Depot and Lowes carry. Are these any good, and built well? I'm looking for something that doesn't have a lot of plastic parts like the pump I currently have, that will break again. I'm also open to alternative brands. If anybody can give me some feedback on the Basement Watchdog models, or suggest other brands, please let me know!!!

Thanks a lot for all feedback!

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Szilagyi

If you have city water look into Zoeller or Basepump . They are water main powered pumps

Reply to
m Ransley

It will take one huge battery pack to power any reasonably sized sump pump for 6 hours.

As noted some people are using water powered pumps that work off the local water supply. Yes you can pump water with water. It may not be the best for every day use, but it does make sense for this kind of situation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Unfortunately it is a double bind. A water powered pump will run as long as it has water, but will not have the capacity you need. A battery powered pump might have the capacity, but will require a bank of batteries. The only real solution is a second sump pump and a generator. That is what I did at my old house, with a battery backup on one and a water backup on the other. Then I couldn't take it any more and moved; that was the real solution. If you need a pump to run 6 hours straight (as I did frequently) it is a sad situation.

Reply to
toller

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to have a motor driven pump instead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Huh??? Water powered pumps use a venturi tube. The one I had was almost as powerful as my regular pump and the capacity was unlimited as long as the municipal water pressure was available. You must be thinking of a different type of pump?

Reply to
hchickpea

I like it when people that dont know what they are talking about cut down a product with no research or facts to back up their stupid remarks.

Basepump at a 10 foot lift with a 3/4 incomming supply at 50 lb will pump 750 GPH. Thats 18000 GPD , Measly ? At 3/4 main and 75 lb pressure 10 ft head it does 1000 GPH 24000 GPD, Measly ? Just the size of a small swimming pool.

Gas , great, you are not home, or you motor doesnt start or you run out of gas.

Basepump is Automatic, mounted at the ceiling in the same pit as your primary pump ready to work any moment your main pump fails or power goes off, no batteries to replace no carburators to clog, no starting, nothing, just pure automatic insurance and piece of mind.

Reply to
m Ransley

Basepump also has no moving parts to break, and comes with an alarm and battery.

With a 1 " main 75 lb. incomming pressure @ 10 ft head it pumps

2000 GPH or 48000 GPD ! Measly ? Just the size of a real swimming pool.
Reply to
m Ransley

Check into bilge pumps for boats; they are available to run on 12VDC, are relatively efficient, and usually durable (as in all things, you get what you pay for).

How much water do you need to be moving for six hours?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I know what you mean, but I *don't like it* because it can get people who believe them into trouble.

This guy "toller" is wrong too often. Recently (07/26/04)he stated that a neon electrical tester "has almost no resistance, so significant current will flow through it", and he's made gaffs about other subject as well.

One of his silliest recent remarks, when responding to a question about adding electrical outlets to an existing location from a poster who'd admitted he had no electrical wiring experience was:

"Experience goes a lot way. (of course, the only way to get experience is doing things you have never done before.)"

How about suggesting he first obtains some education in what he's trying to do toller, so the "experience" he gets doesn't result in his electrocuting somebody?

I think toller means well, but sometimes it seems like his whole alimentary tract gets reversed.

Just my .02,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If I really want to go the distance, I'd get a second pump with a gas generator. But right now I just have a back up sump pump. I am willing to accept the risk of a power failure and heavy spring rain happening at the same time. If they do, So be it.

But I'd make sure there is proper drainage away from the house.

Reply to
Yaofeng

I like Attwood's V1250 12V bilge pump (item 168226, $33.99 at BoatUS.com), which can move 1100 gph at 0 head or 400 gph with a 6.7' head with 12 V at 2.6 amps. It has a 3-year guarantee. Their item 168228 float switch sells for $20.99.

A 200 Ah battery might pump for 200Ah/2.6A = 77 h, moving

77x750 = 57.7K gallons of water, a 32'x32'x7' basementful.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Figure battery replacement cost in 10 yrs and float charger cost over

10 yrs and its evident Battery units Suck and don`t Suck enough.

I can only see Basepump and Zoeller as an overall winner.

Reply to
m Ransley

According to Joseph Meehan :

Depends on whether that's objectionable or not.

I'm planning on installing a 12V marine bilge pump (with float switch) into our sump pit run off a continuously topped-up car (or marine deep-cycle) battery.

According to my computations, I could get approximately 40 hours of continuous operation with an ordinary car battery.

For those on municipal water systems who have sump pits.

Not for those on pumped wells whose main concern is power failures.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Rod Speed :

Wha?

Standard venturi pumps (like jetpumps for wells) have "how much do I have to push:how much water do I get back" ratios in the 1:5 to 1:7 range. [Total lift tending to be the determining factor.]

A decent 1/2" municipal line should be able to get 5-7 GPM into the house. That corresponds to anywhere from 25-50 GPM on an optimally designed venturi pump with a short lift. More for 3/4" or 1" main line.

That's a _lot_ more than most AC-powered sumps.

For pumping out flooded basements where very high flowrates required, yes. Not for routine-ish sump pumping.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to m Ransley :

They can suck plenty.

_Only_ if you're on municipal water that will continue through the emergencies you need the backup for.

If there's no water, you're screwed.

Emergency backup systems should rely on as little possible outside of your control.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Power failures and heavy rains tend to happen together, unfortunately.

I have a generator for this (well water, not city).

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I'd be more inclined to put solar cells on my roof and power the pump off of that in case of power outage instead of battery packs. And if you get a new sump pump, look for one with stainless steel parts.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Gee - in my area having clouds cover the sun seems to cooincide with the sump pum having more to to pump...

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Well Jeff Wisnia , I am in agreement with Toller, but im a non - pro- idiot.

Although facts teach us all

Reply to
m Ransley