Glued down carpet

We have berber carpet which has been glued down in all three levels of our townhouse. We would like to replace the carpet on the upper two stories with better quality carpet which is tacked down normally. When we remove a section of the glued down carpet. Part of the pad and carpet remains attached to the wood subfloor. How important is it to remove all of this pad and glue? The pad seems to come up fairly easy with a little scraping but some of the glue remains. What type of extra charge would a typical carpet replacement contractor charge for removing this type of carpet? Thanks for the help! Fred snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Fred

If you are not going to refinish and just lay more carpet, you only have to remove enough so there are no lumps to telegraph through the new. It sounds as if you are left with only a residue after scraping and that's no problem.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot