glue traps

Does anyone know how long glue traps for mice remain sticky, if nothing touches them.

What if 5% of the surface gets covered with something, like newspaper bits? Or more? How much would it take to keep the glue trap from not working anymore.

(I"m not crazy about using them, but they worked when other things didn't seem to, and I was in the hole. At least it was clear when they worked.)

Thanks

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com says... :) Does anyone know how long glue traps for mice remain sticky, if :) nothing touches them. :) :) I have never seen one dry out so I suppose as long as it is not coated or covered it is ok. Touch it with your finger or a pencil to test the tackiness.

Reply to
Lar

Maybe you forgot the magic ingredient ............ peanut butter.

Steve

Reply to
dipodomys deserti

Why don't you stick your face to it to check.

I personally think they're the most inhumane device for mice. I tried it, caught a few mice but didn't make a dent in the population in my house.

Why d>Does anyone know how long glue traps for mice remain sticky, if

Reply to
SMF

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:16:52 GMT "Peter H" posted:

Thanks. Good to hear.

In one case I was in the kitchen and I saw a mouse run through the space between two piles of newspapers. So I put it there. No luck, but that might not have been its regular path. Maybe just because I was destroying its habitat.

The others that didn't work were along baseboards or the back of the kitchen counter, but there are still alternate paths. (They jump over the backspash and go down to the floor behind the cabinet.)

One was where I had caught two mice in the same regular-size glue trap a couple days earlier, between the time I went upstairs and the time I came downstairs, maybe 8 hours. Then nothing. Do you think they learn from their brothers' mistakes and avoid places like that.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

the-big-bopper

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:20:29 -0400 SMF posted:

I have one. So far it hasn't worked.

I'm unhappy about using glue traps, but I've let it go so far (for over a year) they are really a risk to my health. And if I don't kill the ones I have, there will just be more. They used to run right by me while I was on the computer. When I had them in the computer room, as soon as I caught one I would put it out of its misery. So they stopped coming here, but they must be going somewhere else. My dining area ceiling light doesn't work anymore, nor does the range-hood or the light in it, which are on the opposite side of the wall from the dining area light switch.

I gather I have to open the wall to find the damage? Any guess how the range hood is wired? There's power at the dining area light switch, but no power at the ceiling. I could break into the wall behind the stove, or remove the range hood and hope I get lucky, or maybe it is higher than the wall switch and lower than the range hood. That means I'll have to plaster the hole after I make it (I'm no good at that. Or maybe I can get a laminate with a thin backing and glue it to the wall, to cover the big hole I'm going to have to make.

The house is too much of a mess still to find the holes. And most are probably the children of one or two, because I neglected the problem for a long time. That one might even have come in when the sliding glass door and screen were open for hours, yes?

Reply to
the-big-bopper

Glue traps work great if you can find the runways for the mice. I managed to clean my new house out of about 10. No sign of them for the last few years. There had been a serious infestation because the house was abandoned for six months due to foreclosure.

To get them to work you need to either find the passage ways along the wall or put a dab of peanut butter in the middle of the glue trap and place it along a wall in a quiet area where they might find other food. If you have mice they will come. They can smell the peanut butter and they love it.

Peanut butter would also work in 'friendly' traps, if you want to feed the other wild animals.

Reply to
Dusty

And they probably were caught in glue traps in the surrounding dwellings near where you let them go. You sound like the kind who takes stray dogs out to the country and lets them off.

Steve

Reply to
dipodomys deserti

We tried the glue traps....trapped 2 mice...but that is so disgusting..you have to wait for the things to die on there and it takes about 2 days. What we got and I would recommend is "RatZapper". It 'humanely' kills mice (not that I cared about that in all honesty, I just wanted them GONE!) You bait the outside of the trap with some dog food that comes with the zapper and some inside..there is a red light that tells you when you have caught it. Worked like a charm!

Reply to
AdorHm

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cloud.net says... :) Once I caught a mouse in a glue trap and pried :) him off with a fork busted his hind feet up doing it, but let him :) loose in a wood pile. ( I think they eat the spiders) :) :) I think vegetable oil is suppose to loosen up most of the glues.

Reply to
Lar

quoting:

or a good time to use up those left over m-80s. Even better - no dead mouse to dispose of because they are completely vaporized. If not, microwave ovens work well.

Reply to
John K.

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:02:18 GMT "Mike S." posted:

I am squeamish about something, including this, but this is a good idea. Thanks.

I lived in NY for 12 years, with a landlord who tried not to hire an exterminator. Still, only had mice once, and I set spring traps. My roommate complained, saying they were cruel and we should get a cat. Being pretty smart but slowwitted, it took me years to realize how cruel cats are to mice. They capture them and torment them before they kill them, just like in the Tom and Jerry cartoons (except that gives Jerry time to escape, unlike real life). I'm not going by the cartoons but by actual observation. Maybe my roommate didn't know, but he had become a pain in the neck anyhow.

And yes, one should avoid being bit. They have strong jaws and might even carry a disease.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

Well see, that's why I would try to get the mouse off the trap first - I have a snake who's more than happy to dispose of the captured mouse. Course you should put a disclaimer on the M-80 idea - namely do it in an area that can be cleaned by using a hose, or - better yet - outside. I never thought about using the microwave, but I all of a sudden remembered a little something I saw called MicroGerbil 2000 :)

hehe, "I'm gonna do something to you . . . something bad"

Reply to
Mike S.

Mine are still sticky, after more than a year in a very hot attic. And they have some blow-in insulation fuzz on them, but not enough for me to consider replacing. I still have no more mice up there.

The best way to use them is to put them in an area where the mouse has to walk to get from one side of the room to the other. In the wide open is useless. Another thing - put a button sized dab of peanut butter in the center - they love the stuff, and it is quite fragrant when fresh.

I've never had a mouse live for a long time on a glue trap. When I was catching them, I'd check the trap every 12 hours or so, and whenever I had one, it was a goner already. Maybe they die from exposure in the hot/cold temperature extremes of an attic, while others who catch mice in their homes have a nice environment for them to live in, once caught, for days. I figured it goes into shock and passes out before it conks out. I have my spring traps in paper bags because I heard of people who had mice "pop" open when caught, and to me a mouse is a walking disease bag, like rats and pigeons, and I want to contain a biohazard that can sicken me more than worry if the trap "zaps" its prey quick or not. Still, I have three types of traps up there - three Victor spring traps, a green walk-in trap, and three glue traps. All three were baited with peanut butter - the green one along the ramp as well as at the end. The only trap that caught mice were the glue traps. Just my experience - your mileage may vary.

I wish I could play the flute, and have a c>Does anyone know how long glue traps for mice remain sticky, if

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

-Gene Spafford, 1992

Reply to
siteseer

They are great for catching spiders, also.

Gary

Reply to
GARY