give me AM radio

I'm listening and Thom commented that one of the cause of homeless people was no longer housing the mentallly ill, which he said started under Reagan, and the caller asked, more than once, And who started this by suing.

And I suppose the ansere was the ACLU.

The ACLU is perceived as a liberal organization.

1 Seeking to obey the Constitution is a conservative position, but 2 Seeking to obey the Constitution when it requires doing something an old fogie or a conservative doesn't want to do is a liberal position. And that also causes them to forget sentence 1.

Anynow, Thom didn't know the answer.

The lawsuit was to prevent the forcible housing of mentally ill who were not a danger to themselves or others who wanted to get out.

It did not relate to those who didn't want to get out, but somehow, and I don't know the details, but somehow one state after another saw it as a reason or excuse to kick out every one of them.

Reply to
micky

That is interesting to know. My cell phone is a cheap flip phone but my wife has a smart cell phone and has no problem in the house. I can/have Bluetoothed to tablet and laptop and should try it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable
[snip]

I haven't listened to AM radio in a long time. I was just checking the car radio to see what I could get. Just 1 station came in well enough to listen to. I don't know what kind of programming other than commercials.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

First record I bought as a teenager was Fats Domino's Blue Berry Hill.

Reply to
invalid unparseable
[snip]

50 years ago there was a kind of music called "disco" that I didn't like. Sometimes I wonder how I would have felt, knowing how much worse it was going to get.

I know some of that junk is called "heavy metal" or "urban".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Your listening style supports your thinking that the self-advertising is a waste of your time.

What is your reason for thinking that the self-advertising is a waste of their time?

Personally, I think the self-advertising is useful for both myself and for the stations.

For myself:

If I hear that Marketplace, Science Friday, etc. is going to be covering something that interests me, I'll make a mental note or maybe even set a cell phone reminder to make sure that I tune in or TuneIn. (TuneIn allows me take the show with me, pause it, rewind it, etc.)

For NPR:

Just like any other advertising, the more people know about NPR's offerings, the greater market share they can capture. (word of mouth still works - "Hey, you're interested in brain related stuff, aren't you? They're interviewing a neurologist on Science Friday tomorrow.") The greater the market share, the greater the contributions. The greater the contributions, the higher the quality of the content. That is good for both the station and the listeners, including you.

How many episodes of CarTalk did you miss before you stumbled across it? Imagine your enjoyment had you heard about sooner.

Are you familiar with Science Friday? I think that that is a show that you would find interesting.

Let me fix that for you:

"The other 10% are from some of those who fund the station."

I help fund the station, but I don't get any air time. I do occasionally get a "group thank you", specifically geared towards sustaining members like myself. That feels nice.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Actually, all of those genres started at about the same time, give or take a few years. One could argue that disco was the later of the three. Some of it mattered on where you lived - what part of the country as well as city vs. rural.

Heavy metal started in the mid-60's.

Urban music (by name) has been around since at least the early 70's.

Disco has it's origins in the R&B music of the same late 60's/early 70's timeframe.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Dunno but I do have 6100 songs in my music directory, 31gb and the ability to record anything I like from Amazon or you tube. I will give them a listen.

Reply to
gfretwell

Meh

Reply to
gfretwell

There were several suits in the 70s that got decided in the early 80s and basically it upset the whole involuntary commitment apple cart turning lots of people out into the street that we used to keep in the "cuckoos' nest". Now we are left with laws like the Florida Baker Act where they can only hold people for 72 hours and that us usually much shorter if they can answer all the questions right. Once these people have been through the process a few times, most know how to act sane for a few hours and they get kicked loose.

Reply to
gfretwell

I went from Motown to "adult contemporary" to country but I still mix it up a lot. I sort of missed disco and the hair bands.

Reply to
gfretwell

On certain things, everyone is like me. I've believed that since I was

  1. >Personally, I think the self-advertising is useful for both myself and for the stations.

Wow. I'll note that and if I get more similar data, I'll change my mind. (Or I'll hide from the facts. I hate changing my mind.)

I haven't found a great correlation between how interesting a topic sounds when they promo it and how interesting it actually is. It can go either way, if it's better or not as good as it sounded. That's a big reason I don't care about their promos.

That's okay. There's too much to listen to and watch and read anyhow.

It's pretty good soemtimes. It was so good on a few occasions I made an effort to listen later, but the next couple times it wssn't. It wasn't bad, it just idin't interest me much.

I do like science. I even posted here a few weeks ago to promote Science Zone Radio. All science all the time I think and no commercials afaicr. I listen on Radiomaximus but I think it's on tunein or its own webpage, etc.

Just to be pedantic, I said "some of" them and I also didn't say they were the only ones who fund the station.

and you deserive

Reply to
micky

Fer sure. Guys like Hendricks got us used to the screaming guitar in the 60s. For that matter you could look at BB King or even Les Paul although they had more music in their music. Les Paul pretty much perfected the multi track recording technique way before it was a thing. "How high the Moon" was way ahead of it's time with Mary Ford being a virtual choir overlaying 16 tracks. Les also perfected the electric guitar.

I am not sure about what we call Rap these days. That was more of an

80s thing. You had guys like Gil Scott Heron and Marvin Gaye doing socially relavent stuff but wasn't "Kill all the cops and beat up you yo ho".

Certainly groups like Earth Wind and Fire got that disco beat going before it was a thing and a lot of the disco groups were black. It is basically dance music tho. Buried in the schlock there were still some very talented groups and individuals.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the '70s I switched to country. Willie, Waylon, and David Allan coe, not the Kitty Wells and Hank Snow stuff my mother listened to.

Reply to
rbowman

I saw BB King under a tent in 1989. He had a 12 year old opening for him. Some kid named Joe Bonamassa.

I wonder whatever happened to him. ;-)

If you can get past the language - or even understand the words - there's quite a lot of production value in some of that music. Thing is, it's just too hard to get past what's on the surface.

....and many established artists dabbled in disco. Some of it worked, some not so much.

What I enjoyed when my kids were in their teens, 10-15 years ago, was listening to some of their music and pointing out where their artists were sampling the music that I grew up with.

As John Hartford used to sing:

I tried real hard to not make this song sound like some other song some other singer songwriter might have written before. If I did its because it's music and music's based on repetition.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Yup same here and then in the 80-90s it became pop music with a little twang when Garth Brooks and Carrie Underwear came along. Taylor Swift tries to call herself a country act but she is bubble gum.

Reply to
gfretwell

He is still out there gettn'r done. One of my Md friends sends me tour dates now and then since the covid thing is going away.

BB made some really good music when he was playing with Eric Clapton. They played off each other quite well and BB was hard to keep up with. Another guy most people have never heard of who is good is Keb Mo (Kevin Moore)

Dr Dre is very good with that. He is pretty much all self taught too.

Yeah George Harrison had a little trouble with that ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

It sure seems odd that people are buying records again because the music is somehow better on them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Uh yeah...that was kind of a joke.

At the tent concert, there was no real "backstage". BB and Joe were just sitting at a table like everyone, saying Hi! as people walked around buying food and drink. There was obviously some "supervision" nearby, but other than that is was like they were just a couple of guys attending the concert.

All three (and many more like them) are part of my hap-hazard rotation.

I find Clapton's journey fascinating, especially during the era of Blind Faith/Delaney and Bonnie and Friends/Derek and the Dominoes.

From leading a superband to hiding behind a drum set to avoid the limelight. Just as fascinating was the juggling of "who is under contract with who", tour obligations, audiences that only wanted to hear Cream & Traffic songs, etc.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

There hasn't been the generational shift that happened in the '50s and '60s from big band music and crooners to rock'n'roll. I like some current music, don't care for others but that's as it's always been.

One year I was in LA for New Years and happened to see a bar that advertised live music for the evening. I was trucking at the time so when I went back it was in my petite little 13,000 pound Volvo White diesel. The guy at the door was skeptical and asked if I was looking for someone figuring I was an irate parent. After we got past that he said I could go in, but I wasn't going to like it, and he'd give me the cover charge back when I left.

I left sometime after the ball dropped and enjoyed all the acts. The best was a Chinese group that called themselves B.B. Chung King and did classic blues but the other's were good too.

Kids have it hard to shock us boomers. Piercings, tats, blue hair, what else you got, kid? I saw it all before yo mama was born.

Reply to
rbowman