GFCI Protection Question ?

Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ? If so, to where ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

No, only downstream.

Ideally the GFCI would be the first outlet in line coming off that circuit's breaker.

There are GFCI breakers if you need to protect any upstream wiring.

Reply to
Retired

Based on the question asked, let's be 100% clear here.

The GFCI breaker still only protects wiring and devices that are downstream from *it*.

By "protect any upstream wiring" you are of course, referring to any wiring that is upstream from the first device after the breaker, not upstream from the GFCI breaker itself. (Many of us understood what you meant, I just want to make sure that the Bob understands that too.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think the above is less clear than what preceeded it. You're mixing two different scenarios now. A GFCI breaker will protect everything on that circuit. A GFCI receptacle or similar device, will only protect itself and whatever is downstream. No GFCI device of any kind will protect anything upstream of it.

Reply to
trader_4

Kingston or maybe Albany.

Reply to
micky

No, it does not (generally) extend upstream (back to the source). If such a device exists it is not common and/or I have not seen one or heard of one.

Reply to
clare

Damn, I KNEW that was coming!!!!

Reply to
clare

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think there has to be a definition made here. So I will do it..

Upstream: From source (breaker box) to GFCI outlet - not protected.

Downstream: From GFCI Outlet to far end of that circuit (last outlet on that circuit).

GFCI breaker - source - (breaker box) to far end of that circuit (last outlet on that circuit).

I hope I am clear as mud...

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Mon 14 Aug 2017 01:14:25p, Tekkie? told us...

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

+1