GFCI Protection Question ?

Hello,
Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:
Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.
But does this protection also extend "upstream" ? If so, to where ?
Thanks, Bob
On 8/12/17 5:44 PM, Bob wrote:

No, only downstream.
Ideally the GFCI would be the first outlet in line coming off that circuit's breaker.
There are GFCI breakers if you need to protect any upstream wiring.
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 5:59:39 PM UTC-4, Retired wrote:

Based on the question asked, let's be 100% clear here.
The GFCI breaker still only protects wiring and devices that are downstream from *it*.
By "protect any upstream wiring" you are of course, referring to any wiring that is upstream from the first device after the breaker, not upstream from the GFCI breaker itself. (Many of us understood what you meant, I just want to make sure that the Bob understands that too.)
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:20:03 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think the above is less clear than what preceeded it. You're mixing two different scenarios now. A GFCI breaker will protect everything on that circuit. A GFCI receptacle or similar device, will only protect itself and whatever is downstream. No GFCI device of any kind will protect anything upstream of it.
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:52:29 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:19:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Damn, I KNEW that was coming!!!!
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:44:04 -0400, Bob

Kingston or maybe Albany.

No, it does not (generally) extend upstream (back to the source). If such a device exists it is not common and/or I have not seen one or heard of one.

I think there has to be a definition made here. So I will do it..
Upstream:    From source (breaker box) to GFCI outlet - not protected.
Downstream:    From GFCI Outlet to far end of that circuit (last outlet on that circuit).
GFCI breaker - source - (breaker box) to far end of that circuit (last outlet on that circuit).
I hope I am clear as mud...
--
Tekkie

On Mon 14 Aug 2017 01:14:25p, Tekkie? told us...

I think that pretty much sums it up.

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 4:26:40 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

+1