GFCI must be 20 amps.

Meets the NEC definition of a bathroom.

Huh? Radiator?

Oh, come on, now. Surely there's some place where you can add a new outlet on a separate 20A circuit. Use your imagination.

That's not a violation as far as I am aware.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Trust me, this house is a far cry from a McMansion!

The only sink in the "area" was a utility sink on the opposite side of the basement. You'd have to consider the whole basement as the bathroom for the NEC to consider that room a bathroom.

Now, while I was replacing the toilet and shower I did remove the bathroom walls, so for a short period of time that whole section of the basement was one room, which included the utility sink, so I guess it was a bathroom per the NEC while the walls were down.

I wonder if they care that the "bathroom" had a fridge, furnace, washer, dryer, storage shelves, TV, ironing board, etc. etc. etc. in it. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Doug,

I didn't mean anything by my comment. I don't know if every locale uses the same terminology for that type of room.

Where I grew up we ate heros and drank soda. Where I live now, it's subs and pop.

I was just trying to help.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What *else* would he mean?

Does he need to explain "kitchen" or "bedroom" to you as well?

Reply to
mkirsch1

That is not really an issue then since the only required receptacle in a bathroom is the one near the basin and now all receptacles close to a sink of any kind has to be GFCI. You are not required to make this

20a since this is not a bathroom. If the sink was right outside the water closet door it might be called a bathroom. .
Reply to
gfretwell

At a certain point I might agree with you and "come and get me copper" but if this is going to be inspected your AHJ will probably want to see the 20a circuit (with 12 ga wire).

Reply to
gfretwell

No offense taken; I'm sorry I gave the impression there was.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Powder room" is not defined in the NEC, so, yes, an explanation of what the OP means by that term is necessary in order to answer his question about what parts of the NEC might apply to it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

He could have meant this...

DerbyDad03
[snip]

An electric heater that looks like a radiator? These are often expensive and claim to put out more heat than they possibly can.

[snip]
Reply to
Gary H

re: "There is a toilet and a sink in an area of 7 sq. ft. "

Wow!

I've got a tiny sink in my basement bathroom - 15" x 12", which 1.25 sq ft.

My toilet is 31" x 18" which is 3.875 sq ft.

That means you have 7 - (3.875 + 1.25) =3D 1.875 sq ft of "open space" left.

Do you have to pull your pants up in the hallway?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is not a proper bathroom either...

Plumbing code requires wherever a toilet is installed a sink is also required...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

re: "That is not a proper bathroom either"

Tell that to my town...

Once again it shows that local assessment codes have nothing to do with NEC/plumbing/other codes.

As per my town, any 2 fixtures is a 1/2 bath, even if by plumbing code it's not a "proper bath".

Reply to
DerbyDad03