Getting rusty nipple off.

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging. I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Reply to
Mphilking

Drill a hole through it and put a screwdriver through the hole then spin it off and get a good stainless steel replacement nipple and you won't have to replace it ever again.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

When you do get it taken apart apply Teflon tape to it. It is good practice to take apart all new plumbing and/or fixtures and use tape before re-assembly. Ten years down the road you'll understand why.

Reply to
tnom

why is the shower head wiggling?

Reply to
naked on the phone

why is the shower head wiggling?

you're just going to f*ck it up anyway

Reply to
naked on the phone

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually break it free.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil. Use PB Blaster or similar. (WD stands for *water displacing*.)

Use an internal pipe wrench adapter and a socket drive handle.It has a knurled piece that goes inside the nipple and expands against the inside of the pipe,gripping it tightly.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

First off, 86 the wd40. it's basically worthless.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Probably the best penetrant to use is beeswax. Heat the area of interest and the wax will follow the heat.

Reply to
tnom

Where IS that nipple in relation to the faucet you are replacing?

It would be interesting to learn what you mean when you say "kind of stripped the threads". Are you saying you buggered up the exposed male threads which used to thread into saomething else because you didn't know about internal pipe wrenches? If so, the nipple is history, so follow the good advice already given here and hope to G-d you don't have something snap off or start leaking behind the wall. I'd vote for using a "flame wrench" on the nipple and letting it cool down to room temperature before applying torque to it again. The expansion and contraction should help break it free.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hey! useless? WD-40 is a *great* cleaner. I use it to clean up the freeing oil...

spamTHISbrp

A friend said it might be sodered in at the back by the pipe. I have the steel nipple, I just have to get the old one off.

Reply to
Mphilking

Thanks, that is something I always do.

Reply to
Mphilking

Thanks for the support!

Reply to
Mphilking

A friend thinks it may be sodered on the back of the niple to the pipe. I'm going to try another tool to remove it. Hopefully, that will work. Thanks for advice!

Reply to
Mphilking

Thanks Jim! I think I may try that. I've used WD-40 to get nuts off of rusted bolts I thought our hard water may have rusted things up a bit.

Jim Yanik wrote:

Reply to
Mphilking

I'll try something stronger. Thanks

Steve Barker LT wrote:

Reply to
Mphilking

Reply to
Mphilking

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

if it's iron pipe(that's usually threaded),it's NOT soldered. Just rusted in.

Why did you need to remove the nipple anyways? (you have to now that the threads are buggered.)

When I replaced my tub spout,the universal kit I bought at Lowes had adapters to fit threaded pipe(2 sizes),or go over copper stub(what I had). It was only $12 as I recall.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

For the record:

WD-40

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

Y-Town