Generators Revisited

There's been a lot of talk of generators and how to store gasoline for them which got me to thinking of the conversions I've done for customers who wished to run them on NG or LP gas. I would buy the kits from the small engine and parts supplier and the installation was pretty straight forward. Today I came across a Generac unit that is LP ready and has a built in carrier for a 20lb propane tank. It appears to be a slick little system with none of the problems from stale gasoline gumming up a genset that sits for too long. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now, that looks like a good idea. Anyone have an idea how much it costs? I didn't find the MSRP on that page.

The list the questions, but not the answers.

Is this generator safe for sensitive equipment? i.e. laptop, or flat screen tv?

1 answer

Where is the LP3250 generator manufactured?

1 answer

Power output?

1 answer

Need a parts break down document

1 answer

I like what is shown, Is a 8-10KW in the future?

1 answer

Can the LP model be converted to NG?

1 answer

Will this generator run a 11/2hp well pump w/450 ft of #10 wire drawing 13.6 amps?

1 answer

What is the [price of the LP3250 and where can I see one in the Venioce, Fl area

1 answer

Can this generator safely power a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)used for a computer?

1 answer

Cold weather

1 answer

Would be much easier if they listed the Q and A on the same page, instead of having people mouse around and get one tidbit of information at at time. Overall, that web page is not helpful.

.

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have to do some clicking and the answer will be below. There is some ambiguity though, about sensitive equipment. They say yes, then they say the harmonic distortion is greater than 5%, so no.

Yes. All Generac portable generators have a track record of safely powering a variety of tools and appliances, including electronics.

The LP3250 is manufactured to our specifications by a partner overseas.

no

UPS systems typically require total harmonic distortion to be below 5%

- the total harmonic distortion for the LP Series portable units will be above 5%. If you are looking for a unit with a cleaner power output, we would recommend considering either our XP Series gasoline powered units or our automatic home standby generators. However, you should also check the requirements of the UPS system for any additional specifications.

Comes up on the same page for me after you click the question.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did you read the spec sheet which is a PDF file with a link at the bottom left of the page? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Too much like work. I like things simple.

.

Comes up on the same page for me after you click the question.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Didn't even see that.

.

Did you read the spec sheet which is a PDF file with a link at the bottom left of the page? O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In reality, there isn't much built in the last decade or so that actually qualifies as "sensitive equipment". Pretty much everything uses switch-mode power supplies these days and they are wide input range and not sensitive to a bit of distortion.

Reply to
Pete C.

At about $600 for the generator, you can buy a bigger one and a separate conversion kit for less and be able to run either NG, LP or gasoline More flexibility for the same price.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

"Atila Iskander" wrote in news:k4ck8e$n6d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I am looking for a generator like that. Do you have any specific suggestions? Please?

Reply to
Han

What power output are you looking for? Or, what do you wish to run at the same time? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What is the recommended pipe diameter to feed a generator using natural gas? I suspect 1/4" would be too small, but would 1" be overkill?

I found a NG space heater at an auction ($10) and that's providing the incentive to re-plumb a gas line to supply the master bedroom. While I'm at that task, it would be straightforward to extend the new gas line around the house corner to the vicinity of the electrical distribution system where I plug in my generator.

Reply to
HeyBub

Most residential gas meters have a regulator mounted with them that is set for 6-8" WC "water column" which is about 1/2 psi. This requires a

3/4" line for most stoves, furnaces and water heaters. When I was installing a lot of generators in homes and businesses, I would get the gas company to install a 2psi gas meter so I could get enough gas pressure and volume to run the generators. The Generac units I was installing needed 11" WC to operate properly and because of the higher supply pressure, I could run a 1/2" line to get the volume of fuel needed. My friend and I when installing gas lines in new construction or remodels would get a 2psi gas meter so we could run 3/8" copper lines to all appliances instead of 3/4" but a regulator was needed at each unit to regulate the pressure down to 6-8" WC for proper operation. I installed a wall mounted NG heater here at the crotchety old fart's lair last year and I ran a 1/2" copper line as required, it works great and puts out a great deal of heat. You may be able to use a 3/4" line to supply enough fuel for your genset as many of them will operate with the the 6-8" WC NG supply. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:k4duau$171$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Furnace, microwave, fridge, laptops. I guess the fridge is the largest thing, a 10 year-old GE, the tag says it draws 6.5Amp.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Han

Han, depending on the wattage, the microwave may draw more current. The furnace will have a label showing what the blower motor pulls. For a 1/2 HP 115 volt blower motor, the current draw could be 6.5 to 8.5 amps. It's best to check it out before getting a generator that's too small. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thanks.

I'll try 3/4" for my modest 6000kw generator. If that doesn't work, I'll try

1". If I still have problems. I'll investigate up-amped regulators (or forget the whole thing).
Reply to
HeyBub

Also good idea, to do actual current draw, using ammeter.

.

Han, depending on the wattage, the microwave may draw more current. The furnace will have a label showing what the blower motor pulls. For a 1/2 HP 115 volt blower motor, the current draw could be 6.5 to 8.5 amps. It's best to check it out before getting a generator that's too small. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I believe a contractor type portable generator I converted to NG for a homeowner was a 6kw and it worked OK with a 1/2" line but your 6 million watt generator would require a really big gas line. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:k4fcqi$r12$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Furnace is natural gas, hot water circulator drawing 0.76 Amp. Thermostat etc shouldn't draw much, I think.

Microwave is 900 watt, but it is a convection oven as well GE model 1490

Your help is appreciated!

Reply to
Han

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:vsHas.1160$ snipped-for-privacy@fed08.iad:

Good idea, Christopher, but I don't have an ammeter. If I add up all the watts and amps and multiply by 2, I think I should be covered, right? 30 amps then should cover it?

Reply to
Han

Most of the Generac units I installed in homes some years ago were 8,000 watt natural gas powered automatic standby generators and it was enough to power what you are referring to. Of course I installed as large as 40kw for some customers but my favorite Generac was the

10kw 4cyl liquid cooled engine unit that ran at 1,800rpm which made it very quiet and long lasting. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas