Generac Generator EXL5500 start problems

replying to Whaler Guy, Jeff Stout wrote: Same problem with our GP5500, broke the dogs in the pull starter. Used emergency nylon strap around 2 inch hub, you could pull this boat anchor around the yard trying to start it. Sad part is Generac lays no claim to this problem and this problem usually becomes evident at less than 50 hrs of run time. When you leave a comment on there site there's not response it just disappears?.

Reply to
Jeff Stout

Usually those hard to start problems with small engines that are infrequently used are due to fouled carbs. Did you take it apart, clean it? You can find rebuild kits on Ebay for $10, probably a new carb for not a lot too. I just had that problem with my snowblower. In an hour I had it running.

Reply to
trader_4

I have had the same hard to start with my 5 kw gen. Take the carb apart and clean it, then the gen will start with one or two pulls. Let it set for 2 or 3 months and no start.. I finally drained the tank and let it run dry, same as some of the other seldom used engines. Now fill it and it will usually start in 3 or less pulls. Just have to remember to give it a few minutes to let the carb refill.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Put a propane kit on it and kiss your gasoline problems goodbye.

Reply to
gfretwell

Enjoy propane while it's pure.  The environmental wacko democrats will probably legislate ethanol into propane too.

Reply to
Ricky Bob

I installed a "motor snorkel" kit on my Chanpion. very simple tri-fuel conversion allows me to run Gasoline, propane or Natural Gas. Power on natural gas is down about 14% from gasoline, propane down less than 5%

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No, it installs between the carb and the aircleaner - about the simplest installation you could immagine, as it's only 2/16 to 1/4 inch thick.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mine is between the carb and the manifold. Gas doesn't flow until it feels vacuum and you use a primer button to kick it off. I am not sure about the claim that it produces less power but it certainly uses more fuel to compensate for the energy in the propane. I was using a convection oven as a load pulling over 23a (on a 5500w generator at 230v) and I did not any difference at all between gasoline and propane running pretty much at the full rated power. The fuel consumption is a ratio of around 5 to 8+ tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Correction, you are right, it is between the carb and the air cleaner.

Reply to
gfretwell

can someone post a link to such an add on device. sounds like a good idea. mark

Reply to
makolber

Google for tri fuel kit for Briggs stratton, or whatever engine

Reply to
trader_4

I got mine from these guys They are pretty easy to deal with and the phone support is good.

gfretwell

I got mine here:

Mark Lloyd

Google motor snorkel. or just go to motorsnorkel.com Do we have to hold your hand???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Same company -0 they nmake and sell the Motor Snorkel kit and also run motorsnorkel.com

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Appears that way... Maybe Google is broken?

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Michael Olson, NY-homeowner wrote: You hit the nail on the head. I had lots of trouble hand starting with too much resistance. As soon as I took the valve cover off, it was obvious the exhaust valve clearance had far more slop than the intake valve. Set clearance on both intake and exhaust valves to .003" as per spec and starting could not be easier. Thanks for a very useful post.

Reply to
NY-homeowner