GE XL1800 MicroWave

I have a GE XL 1800 over the range Microwave that has stopped heating.

When you start it, it hums for a 1/2 second and then all noise (associated with heating) stops. All else works control panel, light, turntable.

I have seen a lot of discussion that talks about the magnatron and the Diode.

According to the GE manual the magatron is warranted for 10 years, excluding labor.

Does anyone have any experience with this model of Microwave oven ?

Thanks

Reply to
sid

Sanity

I have read a lot of complaints about it on-line, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience fixing it them selves. How did your home warranty pay for the labor on the appliance ?

I would think the problem is either the diode or the magatron, anybody have anything like a service manual ? Your post says 'had', do you still have it ?

Reply to
sid

I lived in Florida at the time. There are many service companies down there that repair the AC, Heater, Electrical, Plumbing and appliances for a yearly fee. Can you replace the magnetron yourself? It took an experienced repairman

2 1/2 hours and a lot of cussing.
Reply to
Sanity

Replace the magnatron ? Yes, and the other posts state to replace the diode as well. When I had the cover off, I saw something the looked like a 1w diode just above the power transformer. If I had a service manual it would be nice to know what voltages to look for or what size and/or replacement diode I would need.

Reply to
sid