GE "hidden" vent Microwave model JVM1870BF07 question

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so if I'm too far off topic, please let me know where I should post. I have a GE microwave, model number JVM1870BF07, which I am trying to convert to recirculation mode for the vent fan. I've figured out how to rotate the fan motors, but am having trouble figuring out how to install the charcoal filter that apparently is required. The only examples I can find show a standard grille above the door, but mine has what they describe as a "hidden" vent. It is basically a door that is opened any time the fan runs. I can see the two screws that need to be removed (according to the GE website), but after they are removed, the hidden grille assembly does not appear to want to come off to allow for installation of the charcoal filter. Is there a trick to getting this assembly off, or am I doomed to get a GE repairman to come out and charge an arm and a leg to do something that seems simple?? Any help/hints will be greatly appreciated Dale

Reply to
dale.e.harrington

GE's web site has installation instructions.

The filter goes behind the grill that over the oven's door. A #1 or #2 Phillips screw driver is need to install it.

Reply to
Fred P

Fred, Thanks for the link, but that shows the same instructions that came with the microwave.

Those instructions are helpful if you have the standard vent grille, but mine has the "hidden vent" system which does not have a grille but rather a "door" that opens to allow the air to flow up. The "door" is spring loaded and has a powered cam assembly which opens the door anytime the fan is running. Although mine has the two screws that the instructions talk about, removing them does not permit the "door" assembly to pull off or slide off as the instructions imply. I can see where the charcoal filter will fit once I get the "door" assembly out of the way, but so far I haven't been able to determine if there may be another screw or two that have to come off first or if I simple need to "pull harder". However, I don't want to "yank" the thing off unless that is the only way to do it.

Dale

Reply to
dale.e.harrington

Reply to