GE dryer question

15 years on a electrical element. Sure was a good one. Yes it is possible for the element to be partially bad ~5% of the time. Time to measure the current draw on the appliance on high heat and a drum full of wet clothes. If you measure close to name plate then there might be an obstruction some where you have not found. 15 years old, might be time for a new dryer.
Reply to
SQLit

$15 will tell, and impress wifey, and get you a new toy:

Richard J Kinch

Have a GE electric dryer that's around 15 years old. The wife has been claiming for the past couple of years it takes too long to dry a load of laundry. I've cleaned it out and stood at the side of the house where it blows out and swear it's got a good draft coming out. If you take the clothes out of the tumbler immediately they seem pretty hot to me.

My question is can the filament be partly bad? Are there more than one? What would be the best way to troubleshoot it myself? Thanks

Reply to
badgolferman

I can borrow one of these from work. What type of current draw would I be looking for? If it's not blowing breakers is it really bad?

Reply to
badgolferman

Check the data plate for watts. P = IV.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I had a similar problem. What I found was that one of the two breakers in the fuse box was blown. All I had to do was reset that breaker and it was all fixed.

Reply to
Dave

wrote:

bad?

new toy:

of current draw would I

it really bad?

try using it on a different cycle. like instead of putting it on "high heat - timed dry" try switching to "permanant press - more dry". It might keep working another year or 2. Did you clean it inside? Take the top off and look at all the crap in there. Mine worked way better after I cleaned it out when I had it apart to replace the belt.

Reply to
Kathy

If it's a stackable unit, take the inside cover off the door, and I bet you discover about 5 or 6 pounds of accumulated lint inside. Clean it out and reassemble.

Reply to
Peter

Might be not enough current, that's the problem. Look for a name plate with the current rating.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon