Gas water heater, tank vs tankless

Definitely tank. At least 50 gallon, maybe 60.

A single tankless heater just won't be able to keep up with the demand of up to three showers plus someone in the kitchen. You know it'll happen.

yeah.... it probably will eventually, when the kids are a little older.

Any truth to the axiom that you can go down 2 sizes when moving from electric to gas hwh's due to better recovery time? eg: currently an

80gallon electric, go to 50 gallon gas.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Answers: yes, no, definitely, and maybe. They take some hefty wiring to run, increasing initial costs, and maybe requiring you to have a heavier service put in. In places where the kitchen or bath is remote, they do good since it takes so much water to prime the lines from the main water heater that a lot is wasted. Good in places such as a small sink where a lot of water is not needed, and they don't keep water hot while you're away. Start by checking power requirements of the units you may need and see if your electrical service will even handle it without some costly upgrades. From there, the questions only start.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Again, the decision is between a *gas* tankless vs. a *gas* tank design.

thanks,

Jc

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@f29g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...

g01.news.tds.net...

ut I'm

Do you only shower at night? Plenty of light in my bathroom during the day. As for night, ever hear of lanterns, candles, etc? In a power outage, I have used hot water and was happy to have it. It's up to each individual to decide how important a factor that is in their decision

Reply to
trader4

You pay twenty dollars for the month. Some months. You gotta peel out the overhead.

I live in a duplex converted to a single-family home. Originally I had two natural gas bills.

By contacting the gas company, I found out that the minimum charge - even if no gas was used - is $17.00 / month. That probably covers accounting, preparing and mailing the bill, reading the meter, etc.

Screw this! With a little re-plumbing I connected the gas distribution system of one side of the duplex to the other and discontinued gas service for the parasite side. $200/year savings for a couple hours work and $10 worth of fittings.

Anyway, your bill for gas is really much lower than might otherwise be apparent.

Reply to
HeyBub

It can be, you have to see what therms you use. My minimum was 9$, some months in summer with tankless, gas cooking and dryer if I tried and didnt shower long I got mine to what would be 6-8$ by therm usage, but its work like using HW only for shaving and missing showers. I have found my biggest water use is washing dishes. I just wanted to know how little energy I could use.

Reply to
ransley

HE SAID he wanted to use GAS....

Reply to
Steve Barker TB

HE SAID he was going powervent out the side through pvc.

GD! do ANY of you people actually READ the original messages??

Steve Barker TB

You obviously have talked to many. Of course most of them get the K&N filter syndrome.. They won't admit it was a wrong decision , cause they got ripped..

It's not logical at all. They won't make 140+ degree water in the winter unless you're where there is no winter. And why would you turn it off for vacation?

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker TB

50 is plenty

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker TB

lmao Steve, I was beginning to wonder the same thing.

jc

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote in news:i1Cgl.1012$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

You should build the 1/2 bath into a full bath so each of you gluttons can have their own bathroom.

Reply to
StepfanKing

messagenews:i1Cgl.1012$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net...

$20 ! Nobody can live in a shack that small. Do you not take showers in the summer or are you heating water in solar panels on the roof? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sorry ransley but that is just plain freaking gross. Missing showers just to save a few bucks? I guess you just have the dog lick the dishes clean too to save hot water? Pry that damn wallet open and spend a couple bucks. No one wants to smell you. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I know I'm going with gas, but I'm just not sure which type of water heater to get.

The small tankless Paloma (propane) in our isolated summer home in northwestern Canada has been in use each May-through-October for twenty-one years. It has easily been able to satisfy the demands of up to eight teenagers taking showers because they take them sequentially (we have only one shower). If it weren't economical to run it would have been removed long ago (getting a tank of propane out to our island involves a forty-mile boat trip). Interestingly enough, there are a couple plumbers on nearby islands, and both ridiculed me when I installed the Paloma (they knew nothing about tankless water heaters, therefore tankless water heaters must be bad). Both spend less time on the lake than we do, both make more frequent trips to town for propane, and both have had to replace their tank-type water heaters at least once in the past twenty years.

Our satisfaction with the Paloma led me to install a slightly larger tankless Bosch/AquaStar (natural gas) in our house in western Canada in 1998 (not as far north as the cottage, but it gets down to -40=BAC /

-40=BAF in winter). The Bosch, too, is capable of supplying hot water indefinitely for sequential showers. Until we sold that house in 2005 my wife kept charts on its gas consumption, and it definitely is economical to run.

The Paloma gets its propane via twenty feet of 1/4" copper tubing from the tank; the Bosch uses six feet of 1/2" iron pipe from the main natural gas line. Neither uses any electricity. The Bosch has the added bonus of no pilot light. Maintenance on both has been zero (other than the Paloma's being drained for winters).

Reply to
borealbushman

Learn E.F. ratings is like AFUE but for water heaters bubbanuts.

Reply to
ransley

Nobody wants to listen to your wrong info. Especialy since your suposidly a pro.

Reply to
ransley

l require?

s, but I'm

I bet his "shack" costs 10x what you think is a house, knowing Trader.

Reply to
ransley

messagenews:i1Cgl.1012$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net...

that's all mine is in the summer also.

Steve Barker TB

s model require?

ith gas, but I'm

ver known anyone

y entire gas bill in

my understanding is efficeny is overall efficency rating. thermal efficency is JUST the heating part. And the typical furnace rating/...........

which discounts the electric to to operate the device. for a water heater thats the ignitor bower and sensors.

I was futher told tankless ratings are thermal efficency numbers.

this all from a company selling heating equiptement furnaces water heaters etc

ok ransleyy and bubba round 8!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hallerb