Gas Pressure Washer Recommendations?

Anyone have something good (or bad) to say about their pressure washer ? I am thinking of the Ridgid RD80701 at HD. It is more ($579) than I want to spend, but am am a bit leery of getting too low-end of a model.

I have some vinyl siding, brick patio, landscape masonry, and perhaps a moldy roof I want to clean.

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank McElrath

That unit is a "Commercial Grade", so the cost. Can you rent one locally, once or twice a year as needed?

My PW (Excell) might be 18 years old? Happy as pig in mud with it. Look for a unit with a brass pump and not some chepo unit.

Reply to
Oren

That Ridgid is probably overkill for the 2 or 3 uses per year that most homeowners need. I bought a Karcher 2400 PSI unit from Costco about 5 or 6 years ago for $300. It has a 5 HP Honda engine that always starts on the first or second pull and does everything that I want it to do. Here's a link to a factory-refurbished one for $280:

Mine came with 5 fan tips and a power nozzle, but this one comes with only 3 fan tips. I've never had the occasion to use more than 2 or 3 fan tips, so a good assortment of 3 may suffice, but the power nozzle is nice for blasting stubborn dirt.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

You will ruin the roof if its regular shingles, its just for your house, Ive used many gas powered units over the years, for my personal use its electric, gas is a heavy pain in the ass, and the units cant freeze in winter, my Karcher is a one hand carry. Electric are less power but get the job done and are easy to move.

Reply to
ransley

I got my experience for the first time this year with $179, 2,000 psi electric unit from Lowes. For household use, I did not want another small gasoline engine to baby since use might only be a couple of times a year. Worked fine for cleaning deck, walks and aluminum siding. You do have to be careful and I would worry about vinyl siding as I've seen some that is fragile. Also, water output is not that high and spray loses effectiveness after a few feet, so you're not going to clean roof from several feet away.

Reply to
Frank

You've definitely got me re-thinking the gas. I've been reading the user reviews (FWIW), and the variability of opinions is worrisome. One guy raves, and another guy rants. So I don't know who to believe.

But gas definitely has a down-side.

Reply to
Frank McElrath

As with most reviews some raves and some rants.

The gas units can provide more pressure and more flow. . This might be something if you do large jobs. Not so much for small jobs. Usually have several more nozzle choices.If you go more than a short distance from the AC outlet you need a heavy duty dropcord. It is recommended not to go over 100 feet with the dropcord.

The gas units do have some more upkeep.

While I doubt it is a worry as the electric units have a ground fault detector, I don't like the idea of all that water around the electricity.

While not likely but you can use the electric unit inside a house or closed up space. Even in a garage with large doors you need to leave the gas unit outside and have a long hose and still be careful of the carbon monoxide gas.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Although not cheap, they do make some high powered electric units. I have one that puts out 2700 PSI at 2.5 GPM (the same as your typical gas washer). This does require 240v @ 30a to run (5HP motor) but it is very low maintenance, no gas sitting around turning to varnish and it starts every time.

Reply to
gfretwell