gas oven stuck on door open but door is not open.

screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn" came on. My door is not open. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It happened again

Reply to
Mary

Probably a bad sensor or switch

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It wouldn't hurt to unplug the oven or shut off the power. Wiggle any wiring you can get to that leads to the screen or its power supply. Unhook and reconnect whatever connectors there might be.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I never had this problem with our 1945 gas stove. Never had to set the clock at all.

Reply to
micky

+1

They can probably find a diagram for the oven at one of the online parts stores that will show where that device is and give an idea of how to get to it.

Reply to
trader_4

Ovens like cars today are full of electronics and chips.

We got good news yesterday on our two year old oven that we dumped a bundle into and it still malfunctions. We will get all new electronics for just a $50 service charge.

The crappy oven that came with the house must have lasted over 25 years but now you are lucky to get 10 years out of one.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You can also get a service contract. I just got an offer from GE to cover range, microwave and dishwasher for 5 years. They want $1100 for it. No thanks, I'll take my chances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The offer may have had the GE logo on it but I bet it was marketed by some insurance agency while the actual carrier is some second or third tier casualty insurance company who contracts with GE.

The agency probably buys the new appliance owners' info from GE and have to kick back a commission on every policy they sell.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

We might consider on next purchase. I would take my chances on those that cover everything. Like any insurance policy it is a profit to the insurance company and a crap shoot with the purchaser.

The appliance people we deal with service what they sell but service calls are expensive.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I know that you are talking about an oven door, but I'm going to toss this out anyway.

There is a common problem with some dishwashers where the latch for the door doesn't fully engage. Since the door status sensor is built into that latch, all it takes is a slight mechanical adjustment to get the latch to engage fully.

Both my son and I (different makes of DW) were able to fix our "door open" issue through mechanical/ physical means.

In my case, all it took was a shim between the top of the DW - right above the latch - and the counter to force the latch to engage tighter. In my son's case, his DW wasn't level side to side, which tweaked the frame slightly cause the latch to not depress the sensor enough. In both cases the latch physically held the door closed, but "electronically" it was still open.

Take a look at your door latch. Press down on the top of the stove and lift up on the door. Maybe something has settled/shifted.

Good luck.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

of 4/08/2021

"GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE?s authorized provider of extended warranties."

Reply to
DerbyDad03