Gas line in the fireplace

Hi

I have a gas log set that I want to install in an existing fireplace. However the gas feed is on the left side, and the gas log set takes the gas on the right side.

Is it safe to run an approved stainless steel gas line across the back of the firebox, where it will be exposed to heat from the flames?

I have read that natural gas will not ignite with out spark and oxygen, but I can't find anything that speaks to how hot a gas line can get, or if it is a danger or not.

Thanks all

Tom

Reply to
tquenemoen

As always, the best info will be obtained from your local inspector's office.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I wont touch this one with an answer. It's too dangerous...... I will say this much, If I was to do it, and knew it was safe, I'd use solid steel black pipe, and keep it low, under the flames. Then again, I know nothing about this. I'd never have a gas fireplace. Too much wasted heat.

If you dont care to call the inspector, call a local plumber. I'm sure there's no cost to ask a question on the phone.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Talk with your local gas supplier. Usually they are very helpful to customers. If they offer installation services, let them come over to give an estimate and ask your questions at that time.

Reply to
franz frippl

My first sense is not to try it. You could contact the manufacturer of the line, and ask about the heat rating.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

wrote

Tom, it doesnt 'sound' like a good idea but I don't really know. What I'd do is call the gas company and ask. I bet they know. Also if they know it can be done, they can probably advise on how.

Can't you get a log set with the feed on the left to match?

Reply to
Cshenk

Ok for short distances of a couple inches but not feet. Find a different way to route the pipe.

Reply to
Meat Plow

What is the brand and model? The Logs I've installed will work on both sides. Are you sure there isn't a knock out? Basically, the line has to be kept below and away from the flames. I can't imagine a gas log set that can't be installed on both sides.

Jim

Reply to
jthread

The vent-free log set I installed about 5 years was the exact same situation. I installed black pipe thru the lower left corner of the fireplace, elbow right turn and continued straight along the back wall for about 3', then converted to a 1/8" (or 1/4"?) copper which made a wide 180 turn into the gas unit. It was inspected by the county...no issues. The house and my butt are still in 1 piece.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

So it was a right or left install like a door?

Jim

Reply to
jthread

Sounds like the manufacturers need to get their act together and make these things reversible in some fashion.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

If I understand your question, the gas input was on the outside of the unit. In this case, it was on the right side. The copper made a wide

180 U turn from the back wall to the inlet.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

Sorry. I know it looked rude. I didn't intend that. You know how it goes. Press send and... I'm just curious. Why whould a gas log set come right or left? I looked at some mfg's models and none of them stated r/l. The one I installed had a r/l option.

Jim

Reply to
jthread