gas generator problem

Hello, My gasoline powered Onan 4.5 kw generator runs great in the dry weather, but after a hard rain runs very roughly and sometimes won't start at all. Once it dries out, it runs fine. It's mounted outside, but sheltered from the weather, so it doesn't get directly wet but rather just moist from sustained high humidity during stormy weather. I assume the problem is in the electrical system. I'm not too familiar with small engines, but can identify the plugs, wires, points, and coil. Money is tight as usual, and I'd like to handle this problem myself if I can. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA Tom Durham, North Carolina

Reply to
Tom Desmond

Try spraying everything electrical with a silicone spray after system has run and is dry. Used to work on my car many moons ago.

Reply to
Jeff

Go to the auto parts store, and ask for a can of "wire drier". Costs about three bucks. Spraycan.

When you have hard start problems, spray the ignition coil with wire drier, and then try to start it.

I had a truck that had a similar problem. Only with a truck, it leaves you along the side of the road with the hood up. The real answer is to replace the ignition coil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon