Gas cooktop - one burner won't light

This is a 5-burner Magic Chef gas cooktop, about 4-5 years old.

One of the burners won't light electronically. I have always been carefully about cleaning around the igniter tip, so dunno what went wrong.

The Gas Co man happened to be here on another matter, so I asked him why it wouldn't light. He showed me that the ceramic sleeve surrounded the igniter was cracked, so the electricity sought the nearest exit -- through the crack -- and did not do its job of lighting the burner.

I've been lighting it with a match, but now that he explained about the ceramic sleeve, am wondering whether you gurus think it's (a) possible and (b) economically feasible, to have the sleeve replaced.

TIA

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

Heck of a lot cheaper than a new range. Find what you need at

or your local parts store.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Cheap fix idea: Try wrapping the insulator with many layers of Teflon tape (used to seal pipe threads) it is an excellent insulator and temperature resistant.

Reply to
Jeff

Say what? First time flame hits the tape...! Insulator projects right out into the drip pan. This URL shows the burner.

Thanx...

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

The gas man was right...imo. The ceramic cracked on my gas furnace igniter. Had it replaced before winter.

I've had it happen on the outdoor grill.

Replace igniter. Forget the Teflon idea.

Reply to
Oren