Old Gas Stove Won't Light

I have a 1960's gas stove (Magic Chef) that won't light. The pilot lights are fine. Would removing the circular alumium burners and soaking them in something help?

I also have an air compressor and could blow them out once they were soaked.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Probably not. If the burners are in fact aluminum, then the blockage is likely corrosion, and anything that would dissolve the aluminum corrosion would attack the metal first. Best to use your air compressor spritzer and any other mechanical means to open up the gas passages. The passage to the pilot light is on the side of the burner, and the travel tube for the gasses is held on with a metal clip. Remove the clip (gently) to remove the burner assembly and deal with the blockage as above. Any welding supply store will have torch tip cleaning widgets that have multiple sizes of cleaning wires, one of which will be just what you need. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Thanks, that's very helpful. I noticed near the burner ring that there is a post about the thickness of a pencil and 3/4" high. It has a hole in the top and a slit down the side. Is that what I should clean? It looks like it is threaded into the tube. Should I remove it and clean it, or clean it in place.

Thanks again for your help. The wife has been after me for years, and it would save me $$$ if I can fix this.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Say hello to general Ripper for us, and for God's sake, watch out for your precious bodily fluids.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Maybe the regulator valve is stuck closed. Some times you can tap it and it will open.

Reply to
Ace

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson