GE cooktop takes forever to light

We have a GE glass cooktop with 4 natural gas burners in our home. The cooktop has an electric spark igniter. Over the past year, we have noticed that the burners are taking longer and longer for gas to reach them and be ignited by the spark. Turning on several burners initially helps some. There has never been the odor of gas, by the way, just a progressive delay in the gas reaching the igniter.

What is the problem and how can it be solved?

Reply to
nobody

Hi,

Model#?

Weak spark from the spark module, restricted gas flow ( something clogging ), poor gas pressure ( maybe regultator ), cracked igitors and the spark is getting lost are -some- possible trouble makers.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Sounds like orifice(s) in supply line getting plugged and reducing flow...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

What is the problem and how can it be solved?

I had one of those and finally ended up lighting it with a lighter. I fiddle around with it and finally gave up.

I also had a GE electric oven. I hated it. It was not possible to roast chicken and potatoes at the same time. It would respond by flashing F2 or F3 at me. Well F2 to it too. Sometimes it would just stop working and I'd have to go and reset the circuit breaker and hope that it would come back on.

GE makes (used to anyway) some very good qualilty appliances but oven and stoves are not among them.

Just my F2 cents worth ;-) .

Reply to
Ulysses

Get in a position where you can see the spark when it is trying to light. On one of our burners, the electrode was mounted about 1/8 of an inch to low causing the spark to jump sideways instead of up which made that burner take forever to light, which caused a big flame flare that my wife really didn't like.

If your electrodes have slipped down somehow or aren't sparking where the gas flows, that might be part of your problem.

If you aren't getting enough gas out to have any odor before it lights, that kind of sounds like a gas supply problem.

Call your gas company, a lot of times they will come out and look at gas connected appliances for no charge as a safety service. Just mention the stove is taking forever to light and you think it might be low gas supply pressure.

Reply to
twstanley

What is the problem and how can it be solved?

Sorry, can't solve your problem as I don't know anything about these stoves. Maybe I can help a little. I had a problem with a GE Stove where it would only light in only one point when I turned the knob. Normally, it would light throughout a range of about an inch when I turned the knob to the right. I replaced the part the goes in back of the knob.... see part #716 in the web site below. It solved the problem in one of the burners, but not another.

Remember to unplug the stove before starting work. I got zapped forgetting that there's electricity running through some parts.

Reply to
Charlie S.