Gas cooking on the grill from a full-size oven.

I remember hearing that one shouldn't grill over a fire with a refrigerator shelp as the grill (even when they were just metal, and not covered with vinyl), but

Is it ok to grill over a fire using the shelf (grill) from a kitchen oven?

Or to use one, part of one, as the cooking grill in a charcoal or gas grill, or to hold the lava rocks in a gas grill?

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Sure. The refrigerator shelves can be galvanized and the zinc will contaminate the food. You should not ingest large amounts of zinc. Grates from the oven do not have that type of coating and are perfectly safe to use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't think it was zinc.... Pretty sure the poison was cadmium plated refrigerator shelves. Heat would releast the cad plating into the food. I don't think the lawyers let them do that any more.

Reply to
Anonymous