Garbage disposal wiring

I want to put in a garbage disposal where there was none before. I currently have an outlet above the sink that I thought I could convert into a switch to control the garbage disposal. The outlet that I'm planning to convert is not a GFCI itself, but it is downstream of another GFCI protected outlet. Is this okay to do? My other option is to install a NEW switch right next to the outlet on the countertop, cutting in power from the outlet right next to where the new switch would go.

Last question -- should I install a new outlet underneath the sink that is switched from the switch above the sink, or should I wire the switch directly to the disposal? Any things to consider if I wire it directly (like using armored cable or otherwise)?

Thanks!

Reply to
mattmeitzner

A switched outlet beneath the sink is best. When you need to work on the disposal, unplugging it from the wall is far safer than relying on a switch you can't see.

You may wish to put the disposal on its own circuit just to isolate it from the other kitchen appliances. Not so sure you want to put it on a GFCI.

Reply to
franz frippl

You shouldn't be using power from counter outlets for a disposal. You can get a disposal with a switch built into the unit and just install an outlet in the sink base, with a cord and plug on the disposal. If you get a disposal without an integral switch, I'd recommend installing the switch in the sink base, near the front of the cabinet rather than on the countertop... for safety

Reply to
RBM

Yes. A disposal won't trip a GFCI (in normal use, of course).

That's what I would do.

Put in an outlet. Makes subsequent work easier.

Reply to
HeyBub

Both safer "Honey, did you try flipping the switch?" and also easier to install the next one. Pull plug and go.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My disposal been on a GFCI for several years, and it hasn't tripped yet. Some GFCIs do seem more sensitive to those things, though.

BTW, this was necessary because the disposal switch is part of a combination device with a countertop receptacle next to the sink.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd