Garbage disposal = kaput!

Cleaning the dishes tonight I discovered the garbage disposal is not working. Disconnected power to it, clicked rest button, made sure the chooper spins, plugged back in power....nada! Took the coffee grinder and plugged into same outlet and it indeed does have power.

Sinkmaster Whirlaway, Model 191 (1/3 HP).

I'm guessing it's about 7-8 years old.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.....please post reply here.

SK

Reply to
SofaKing

Look underneath the device. Many have an allen key hole at the bottom so you can insert the allen wrench that came with the disposal..(Ha! find that after 7-8 years) and give it a few turns back , forth and around to loosen it up. If that works, I ve read to give it a liberal shot of PAM and run 'er. Also, if u get it going, to freeze a double batch of Ice cubes that are 50% vinegar and dump them in and grind til theyre all gone..helps clean crud and loosen up the 2 "teeth" and get 'em swinging again.

Reply to
Rudy

Does it hum? Does the disc that the "chooper" (sic) runs on turn at all? Maybe a broomstick to make sure the whole thing turns. SofaKing what? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

I can get it to spin by sticking a large wooden spoon in the top and rotating...is that good enough?

Reply to
SofaKing

Hi,

How not working....dead?....hummmmmms?

Wall swith start, sink plug start? -Might- be just a bad switch if the unit is sitting there dead.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Check for a reset button on the disposal. Just a thought.

Reply to
Babbling Brook Photography

Looks like you need to go shopping for a replacement. Fortunately, the installation is pretty standard procedure. I bet you could put a VOM or other continuity testor across the prongs on the disposal plug and you would find it electronically dead. When it quits all of a sudden like that is may be a simple problem, yet not one you can fix. A fine wire inside may have broken. They can't be serviced generally. You've done what most consumers can do so just replace it.

Reply to
eddy eagle

King,

You have power going to the unit but it does nothing. Hitting the reset button does not fix the problem. With the power off or unit unplugged remove the bottom cover and check the motor brushes. Are they worn out? Are they jammed and not moving freely? Using a VOM check the continuity of the wires in the power cord. If nothing seems wrong I vote for replacing it.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

The instructions always say to use an allen wrench on the bottom; never a wooden spoon on the top. Personally I would do it the right way.

The good part is that they are not expensive and replacing them (if you can find the same model) is pretty easy.

Reply to
toller

Either way, it moves so it is not jammed.

Right, often the disposers are pretty well crudded up and corroded and not worth fixing after eight years. Take it apart before investing in parts. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

After experiencing your sinario too many times to mention, I tried thinking outside the box.

-Never had this problem again.

I am a gardener so this worked well for me. I mounted two of the popular 1 gal. plastic milk jugs to the inside of the base cabinet door. The tops got cut to a convenient size opening starting at the top of the handle.

Now instead of reaching for the Sinkmaster Whirlaway switch I open the base cabinet door.

When I head for the garden I empty these jugs in the compost before it has a chance match the smell from the Sinkmaster Whirlaway. The smell went with the Sinkmaster Whirlaway removal. Then plugged drains went away too.

When the jugs need it I replace them.

-Bob Stan

...I love simple things

Reply to
Bob Stan

If it has power to it, will turn by hand (wooow, not at the same time), and still doesnt run, its time for a new one.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I have taken a socket and a long extension and turned it from the top when it was REALLY jammed up. But Ed is right, if it moves, the problem ain't jamming. Check your wiring, and if it is on a GFI circuit, find the reset and reset it. Might be that simple, and I've overlooked that before .................. duh ................... After that, the reset is the only thing you can do. And after that, you're off to the Borg.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Nope...no humming....

SofaKing

Thanks

Reply to
SofaKing

Thanks to all whom replied. I am opting to install a new unit.

I am going to upgrade fro mthe 1/3 HP to a 1/2 HP since I want to be able to process all my tree trimmings with a new one.

Now comes the fun part....choosing one. Within a couple of miles is a Sears, Home Depot and a Lowe's. It appears I can get a 1/2HP for less than $70:

HD - Badger - $58 - L - GE/Whirlpool - $58/$61 S - Kenmore - $69

Is one any better than the other? I'm guessing only a few companies make these, so they're probably basically all the same.

TIA,

SK

Reply to
SofaKing

As far as I'm aware, that is only a feature of In-Sink-Erator built disposals and Whirlaway disposers are not made by ISE.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Yes. you can read about household disposals at this link:

The Badger, Whirlpool and Kenmore are all likely made by In-Sink-Erator. That is the brand *I* would go with.

The GE was likely made by the same manufacturer which made yours, namely Anaheim Manufacturing.

Getting a replacement from the same manufacturer which made the original and of a similar size may reduce the changes to the plumbing and installation mounting which is required for the replacement. Going to a different manufacturer's product you should expect some changes will likely be needed to those.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Pray tell us how he could run his coffee frinder off the same outlet. (Like he said in his OP)?

Might be that simple, and I've overlooked that before

He said he tried that too...

And after that, you're off to the Borg.

Agreed. It's probably a "loose disconnection" somewhere inside the unit, and if he has to ask here, the learning curve he'd need to undergo to learn how to locate and possibly fix it wouldn't be cost or time effective.

Jeff (Who wonders why so many folks reply to posts with prose which makes it appear that they are reading impaired.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm always willing to learn something new.

What brands of dispoisers use motors with *brushes* in them?

I've never encountered one yet. All I've ever seen is split phase motors with centrifugal starter switches in them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to