Garage Door Reverses 1 From Ground

Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If you disconnect the opener and raise and lower the door manually, do you notice any binding at 1 foot level?

Reply to
Woody

Sure seems like an obstruction ... Perhaps the obstruction isn't at the bottom edge of the door opening - but is happening further up on the track ? or something snagging near the top of the door ? I have rough storage over the garage door and on both sides of the door - and I can see how it could happen to me. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Have you looked for a leaf or similar hanging from the bottom of the door?

Reply to
trader_4

It could be binding. Maybe the rollers need oiling. While doubtful, could be weak springs.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That can do it as it is similar to hitting an obstruction. Some openers also have a setting for travel that may habe gotten out of adjustment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My Genie (screw drive) was doing that about a year after I had it installed. About 7 years ago. The installer came out and replaced the circuit board. Said it was a known failure, and he had plenty seen plenty of them.

Reply to
Vic Smith

No, seems OK.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

This one has been in service for many, many years-- at least 15, maybe more...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Something stuck to the door interrupting the safety beam?? About the right height - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I may just be worn out. Maybe the screw in binding. I have a screw type opener and every couple of years I hae to give the screw a good spray of some Tri-Flow to keep it lubercated.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery