Garage Door Paint/Finish Problem

I've struggled with this problem for years. It is a segmented plywood wood or laminated wood garage door that's raised vertically by a torsion spring. The paint at the bottom of segments (particularly the next to the bottom one) cracks. The cracks are roughly vertical. I've repaired this 2-3 times in the past, but it keeps coming back.

I'm fairly sure the problem is that rainwater seeps into the seam between two segments and runs down the plies. I've tried to seal the upper edge of the segments with paint but it never stays. When the door is all the way up or down the segment edges come together (touch) and the paint sticks to the other edge and is torn/pulled off when the segments separate while opening/closing. I've tried sealing the edges with this stuff and injecting it into the paint cracks before repainting

but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. I have also injected caulk into the cracks.

Here are the best pictures I've been able to make to illustrate this problem, but they don't make it clear.

Note also the bolts that are rusting. I've replaced most of the rusted bolts over time. I always to seal the bolts from water by filling the bolt holes liberally with caulk, to the point it squeezes out in all directions. It helps, but it doesn't prevent rerusting.

If I can't come up with something this time that works I guess I'm going to have to replace this door that's in good condition otherwise.

Anybody have any new ideas?

Reply to
jim evans

I had the same problem after fighting it for 23 years. The cure....new metal doors. Sorry, I wish I had a cure for you. \\\\Jim, Redmond,WA

Reply to
Jim L

Would an edge trim help at all:

Noozer

Not that specifically, but you've given me an idea for how I might seal the plywood to prevent water entering. Maybe I can cover the upper edge with some kind of thin plastic.

Reply to
jim evans

Looks like kind of a mess. Your rusty bolt problem may be aggravated by sticking then into caulk .. the uncured caulk could make them rust.

Does the door get full sun exposure? More sun at the bottom would help explain your paint problems. Too hot, shrinks and expands, cracks hard rigid coat of paint.

If the wood isn't rotted, I would strip all paint from the worst section and sand it. Sand the rest. Have to do this when weather is warmish and DRY. When the wood is thoroughly dry, put a quality alkyd primer on. Let that cure at least 2-3 days. Keeping the bottom of the door off the ground until finished. Put flexible, paintable caulk (light application) into the seams between the panels and frame. Let caulk cure. Paint two coats quality latex semi-gloss paint.

Reply to
Norminn