garage door opener... sensor beams?

Between 1974 and when? Given a ten year span for that figure (74 to 84) that puts the risk at less than 1 in 30 million per child per year. SInce you can only be a child for about 15 years, that means the risk per individual is around

1 in 2 million, which is well below my threshold for alarming risks.

If you make a set of assumptions designed to justify the detectors, (the detectors prevent 75% of such accidents, somewhere in the vicinity of 8 million relevent garage doors in the country), you could expect, at best, a 1/125,000 chance that any given installation will prevent an accident.

If the things add $20 to the cost of the door, then it makes sense to add them if you can't save more than one life by spending 2.5 million dollars somewhere else.

Reply to
Goedjn

how many of them would have been saved by the electronic eye?

to rephrase, how can you put this into perspective so that we can see the actual effect of the electronic eye on garage door safety?

30 years, 85 kids. so less than 3 a year. which is virtually zero.

like i said before. choking on peas and peanuts is more dangerous. you want to put electronic eye detectors on peanuts?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Impossible to say, however I don't think it takes much effort to realize that it would have been less.

Unless one of those three was your son or daughter. I take it you don't believe their lives have any value?

You are sounding very much like a troll.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

you brought up the statistic. im just showing you why its meaningless.

you are the troll. twisting what i said into 'their lives dont have any value'. you ought to be ashamed.

what i said was you cannot pad every corner in this world just because it hurt someone. since you 'care' so much, if 3 deaths a year is cause for action, you better get busy. and you can start throwing out just about everything you own.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Life and injury are not meaninless.

I don't know how many people who die each year from skin cancer die because of excessive sun exposure. It is impossible to say. However just as in garage doors it is prudent to take precautions. Look up the word prudent. You will not find your picture next to it.

Your foolish comments could convince someone to disable or ignore the safety devices that can save lives. You are a fool.

If you believe the sensors and the regulations requiring them are not desirable, then I suggest you take your case to the authorities making those decisions.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

joseph you have put words in my mouth for the last time. your head is so far up your ass you're commenting on things i never said. you're making this stuff up as you go along and ive had enough.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You mean words like "30 years, 85 kids. so less than 3 a year. which is virtually zero."

Reply to
Joseph Meehan