Garage door opener safety lights

I did tell what it said. If you don't think my answer is suitable, get off your lazy ass and look it up. I personally don't give a damn if you believe me, or if you follow the advice of the manual (I don't).

Probably every manual of every door operator has similar CYA instructions. I know the doors at work even came with warning labels not to walk under a closing door.

I never said it was sensible, I just said the advice exists.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you notice that last comment had nothing to do with the danger. It was pointing out that you have never given a "sensible" reason for disabling the sensors.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Right. I just said it exists. I never said it was sensible or agree with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Still dodging the question. Why did you disable your sensors? Any sensible reason for doing so?

--------------------------------- Ed: "Same place mine are. It has been a while and I forget exactly how I bypassed them. I think I duct taped them together. Most of them are a PITA, but "its for the children".

-----------------------------------

Let's hear just what is a PITA about them when properly placed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Well Mr Holier than Thou, I have shelving build on both sides of my door with absolutely no place to mount them. My opener is adjusted to the most sensitive setting I can make it and still have the door close. So I have them mounted on the ceiling, because the opener will not work without them. Also, nobody open or closes the door except me. Does that pass your *nanny* test?

Reply to
ChairMan

no it does not! Adjustements change, and the shelving should be modified to accept the sensors.

if a kid gets hurt or killed your homeowners insurance would be in their rights to not cover you, your reputation in the community can be ruined forever, and you could get sued or perhaps criminally proscuted.

isnt that enough risk to use the designed in safety systems?

Reply to
bob haller

They are properly placed, out of the way.

If I mounted them as per the instructions, they would be hit all the time by garden tools and snow shovels on one side, Drill press on a stand on the other side.

My garage is detached and I don't put the cars in there. It is not a point of entry/exit for the house. There is some storage, mostly my work shop. There are no little kids for over a quarter mile. There are no little kids in the family.

You may not find this a suitable answer, but it sure works for me. My house, my rules.

I also took the tag off of my mattress!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for a sensible reason for disabling. That is the first one I have seen in all these years.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Odd, there is no way I could put any implement in a position to block the sensor and still let the door close. so, no, that is not only not a sensible reason, it looks like a flat out lie to me.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Try reading and comprehending what I wrote. Never said an implement would block the sensor.

I'll type slower this time. I'd hit the sensors frequently moving tools in and out of where they are stored and either break them or knock them out of alignment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"> If I mounted them as per the instructions, they would be hit all the > time by garden tools and snow shovels on one side, Drill press on a > stand on the other side."

Must be a very small drill press if it can be moved to hit the sensor. I call BS.

I have shovels, rakes, mauls etc. stacked right next to one of he sensors on one side. The only time my sensor was knocked out of position was being hit by the snow blower as I drug it past.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

As someone has already said, " MY House My rules"

What part of *I AM* the only one that opens and closes the door don't you understand?

What makes you think my reputation isn't already ruined? Besides, i could give a flyin f**k what people think, when they start paying my bills I might reconsider my position

and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they jump

Reply to
ChairMan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Oren belched:

No, because PETA will own it in short order

Reply to
ChairMan

Try thinking harder about someone else's situation.... Your particular installation & experience may not mirror everyone's. Just because you cannot seen another's POV, believe it or understand it...doesn't make it a lie or BS. :(

I can see it both ways.

I suppose they can be beneficial but ....

The "safety lights" can also be a real PITA. I struggled with a particular installation for quite a while before I figured out the source of any intermittent malfunction. I even toyed with the idea of an "above the door" installation "to solve the problem".

I like to punch & walk but with the safety lights in place I have to punch, walk & "high step"... a bit of a PITA. For what benefit?

Per one source, ~85 children have been killed or suffered permanent brain injury since 1974 from garage doors.

Reply to
DD_BobK

A much better safety system.... teach kids to stay away from a moving door.

Abstract not full report

Automatic garage door openers: hazard for children. Kriel RL, Gormley ME Jr, Krach LE, Luxenberg MG, Bartsh SM, Bertrand JR. Source Department of Pediatrics, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA. Abstract OBJECTIVES: Despite significant advances in automatic garage door opener design, automatic garage door openers continue to severely injure or kill children. In this investigation, we sought to determine the frequency and circumstances of accidents that have caused severe injury or death to children. We also tried to develop a means by which homeowners can evaluate their door openers.

METHODS: We present the histories of three children severely injured or killed by automatic garage door openers. We reviewed national data of similar accidents primarily published by the US Product Safety Commission and Underwriters Laboratories. Also, we evaluated 50 automatic door openers for safety of operation. The reversing mechanisms of door openers were tested using a cardiopulmonary resuscitation mannequin, a roll of paper towels, and a block of wood.

RESULTS: In the United States, at least 85 children have had permanent brain injury or have died since 1974 as a result of accidents involving automatic door openers. A review of circumstances of the accidents illustrates that accidents are caused both by use of the openers by children and by faults in design. Most accidents have occurred when children have found access to the activation devices and have been entrapped under closing doors that failed to reverse. However, in one case, an adult activated the opener and left the premises before the door completely closed. Our evaluation of 50 garage door openers showed that although 88% percent reversed when encountering a block of wood, 40% failed to reverse when coming down on a supine, child-sized cardiopulmonary resuscitation mannequin.

CONCLUSIONS: Automatic garage door openers pose a serious risk of severe injury or death to children. It is probable that many doors would not reverse if they came down on a young child. Therefore, we have devised a way for homeowners to test their door openers that closely mimics our evaluations using the mannequin by using a large roll of paper towels. If the door fails to reverse using this test, we suggest that homeowners disconnect their openers and operate the doors manually until the openers are serviced or replace their automatic openers with one that meets the latest Underwriters Laboratory standards. We also have other recommendations regarding the safe operation of the doors, including improving the safety standards for openers in apartment complexes. Compliance with these recommendations should reduce the number of injuries to children caused by garage door openers.

Reply to
DD_BobK

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Oren belched:

yup, got ahead of meself..............

Reply to
ChairMan

HK-

Some seem focused on the safety light system but if one exaimes the totality of garage door operation & related injuries, one might get a different & broader point of view.

check out stats for 2007

seems like the safety light system really only addresses a small portion of door related injuries

Description Estimated USA Total Description

  1. Pinch/Crush Section Joints 7557 Fingers caught between section joints, includes amputations, avulsions, etc.
  2. Falling Doors 2102 Door fell for whatever reason
  3. DIY 1610 Person working on a door
  4. Sharp Edges 805 Lacerations from door hardware or tracks
  5. Glass 313 Lacerations from garage door window glass
  6. Spring 313 Spring injuries
  7. Broken Door 224 Miscellaneous injuries due to doors needing repairs
  8. Other Entrapment 179 Half of these were fingers caught between rollers and tracks
  9. Race To Beat The Door 134 People trying to get through the opening before the door closed
  10. Riding Door 89 Children riding the door Total 13325

This study is about the "door system" regardless of whether it is electric or manual CPSC?s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) is a national probability sample of hospitals in the U.S. and its territories.

Seems that as useful as the safety light system may or may not be.... the safest thing to do is to avoid getting close to a moving door. Which tends to reinforce Ed's comment that the manual suggest not walking under (near?) a moving door.

Kinda like.... it's hard to get run over by a parked car.

Reply to
DD_BobK

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Oren belched:

yes sir, I'll work on that, but these little nannies just piss me off!!! they just don't seem to understand how slippery that slope is that they stand on. Hell, just ask danny d about slopes

Reply to
ChairMan

 Description
   Fingers caught between section
           2102            Door fell for
         1610            Person working on a
       805           Lacerations from door
                 313           Lacerations from
                313           Spring injuries
       224           Miscellaneous injuries
    179           Half of these were
 134           People trying to get through
        89          Children riding the
                   13325

But those statistics are wrong, especially in the case of pinched fingers. I got my finger pinched badly by a closing door but didn't report it. :)

Reality though is that I had the GDO disconnected and was closing it manually.

As with almost anything people can get hurt in ways undreamed of by the designers.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I see others points but in Ed's case he is obviously straining to come up with a reason. I couild have accepted it at the first request for a reason but not after repeated requests for a reason and then only when followed by a couple other really straining replies.

As for 'punch and walk', I do idt all the time with no "high step" or other maneuver. I had to make a deliberate attempt to make the system reverse. Sensors are placed in the normal position. I suppose it comes down to where in the exit process the button gets punched. I do it as my leading foot is already out the door.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K