Garage Door opener

My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I disconnected

everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything (including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20 minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If this

makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips

Reply to
rbiondi

I would look at the cord first. Otherwise the opener has a short. Also plug something else into the outlet. Maybe the outlet is bad.

Reply to
Art

Could that "breaker" be a GFI?

Otherwise, does it trip related to temperature changes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Get an Ampmeter and see how many amps are being drawn at that breaker.

Reply to
Rich

Get an extension cord and run the opener to an outle, on another circuit. See what happens.

Sometimes circuit breakers start to trip when they shouldn't. Sometimes appliances draw more than they should. Alhtough a mere radio receiver would have to draw an awful lot more than it should to trip a good circuit breaker. I would think it would take less than an amp while in stand-by. The rating on the opener plate is the max amount of current used, when it is actually opening the door.

P&M

mm