garage door does open but won't close

I have no problem openning my garage door but it won't close. If I push the botton on the remote control while the door is open, it will try to close but will either immediately or in a few seconds reverse . If I release the door from the door opener, the door opener would work fine. Thus, it seems the door is making the door opener mulfuctioning. What could be the reason?

Reply to
John Smith

When you release the door from the track, can you open & close the door by hand without it binding?

Reply to
Patch

And if so - is there anything blocking the electric safety eyes (if so provided?)

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I had this problem a few years ago and the company told me my photoelectric thingys were out of adjustment. I moved them around a bit, and it has been fine ever since.

You might have a completely different problem, but it is worth a try.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Should have clarified that in my original posting. My fault.

I can > And if so - is there anything blocking the electric safety eyes (if so > provided?)

Reply to
John Smith

photoelectric

I had the same problem..... I have a Sears Unit and the electric eyes were slightly out of adjustment. They showed a green light (Slightly dimmer) too. Also might want to wipe the lens on them too.

Reply to
Terry Sayers

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:18:43 -0400, Terry Sayers wrote: : I had the same problem..... I have a Sears Unit and the electric eyes were : slightly out of adjustment. They showed a green light (Slightly dimmer) : too. Also might want to wipe the lens on them too.

Make that #3 having the same problem, but for me it turned out to be a microswitch going bad in the travel limit adjustment assembly.

Reply to
Howard Goldstein

"Howard Goldstein" wrote

A lightening storm caused my door to misbehave. It opens automatically, but to close it I have to hold the button down.

Reply to
Joe28

That's exactly my problem. The eyes were out of alignment. I wonder where I got the wrong idea that the light would turn yellow when out of alignment.

Reply to
John Smith

It's not the photo-cells. If it were the opener wouldn't work fine when the door is dis-connected. There are a number of possibilities.

1) Too much spring tension on door when open 2) Bottom of door binding against jamb as it comes out of the curved part of the track 3) Down force or clutch force on door opener set too low 4) Defective logic board 5) RPM sensor going bad 6) Chain or belt (if you have that type) too tight 7) Too heavy of grease on screw drive type It would help to have the brand, type, and approx age to narrow the list down.

Doordoc

Doordoc