Galvanised nails with the NEW pressure treated wood????

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in part connection with another (deck building) thread :

Quote; "Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with the PT put out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything".

Could someone please expand/explain that comment; first I've heard of it!

Posting this a separate/new thread to avoid cluttering the deck building question/discussion.

TIA for any comments/info. Terry

Reply to
terry

See, for example, the Fine Home Building article available at:

The third section addresses the corrosive of the "new" PT.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

You can use galvanized nails with the new PT. They must be double dipped hot galvanized, however. You cannot use the electroplated galvanized. Most fasteners that qualify for PT are clearly marked as: "Suitable for use with ACQ".

Reply to
Robert Allison

Bah Humbug, just use stainless steel instead. Using double dipped galvanized is like trying to polish the proverbial turd.

Reply to
scott21230

Better, anodized screws.

Reply to
HeyBub

The big box electrogalvanized nails aren't really suitable for anything except decorative purposes. I was helping a friend and some boxes of nails got wet during a rainstorm. A few days later there was an incredible amount of rust on them.

Reply to
George