G.E. Dishwasher Recall - What to do with Old Dishwasher

Hello all,

I just finished installing my new dishwasher. The old one was subject to the rinse agent/wire corrosion/short recall. I have the recall paperwork filled out and anxiously await my rebate check. What is everyone doing with their old dishwashers? There's really nothing wrong with it (at least nothing apparent). I figured if I could get $100 or so out of it, all the better. I suppose the worst that could happen would be I could get sued (don't want that). My first thoughts are to take it to the nearest appliance junk place and get rid of it. The label has been removed (in accordance with the rebate conditions).

I hate to just trash the thing if I can get a few bucks out of it.

Just curious,

Greg Wilkerson

Reply to
Greg Wilkerson

Can you call your local trash pick up and have them pick it up?

Why would you want to sell /give something to someone that has the potential to burn / destroy their property?

Reply to
Zephyr

You did get a rebate out of it. There is a reason for the recall so be honest and uphold your part of the deal. If you sell it, your word is then meaningless.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also, the reason for the recall sounds like safety issue, so why would anyone want to pass that on to another...for a few bucks.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

You said it--for some (apparently including OP) a few bucks is more important than another's safety... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Look at the old and new side by side, and see if any of the parts that usually get broken are the same. Not the fire-starting parts, but the knobs, baskets, hinge parts, etc. Anything that may prove useful as spare parts, remove and stash somewhere. Trash the rest. If it is a possible fire hazard, do NOT pass it on to anyone.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Could it be that you don't want someone to suffer the injuries that would result in your being sued? You didn't even think of that, did you?

I didn't learn much in my year in law school, but one of the first things I learned was that if it weren't for the fear of getting sued, a lot of people would show no thought for anyone but themselves.

Good. Do that.

You've been paid for it already.

If anyone should get a few bucks out it, it should be the burn unit at a hospital.

Reply to
mm

buffalo ny: save the dishwasher's silverware basket, i'm using one for a desk organizer right now., scissors, pens, pencils, screwdrivers, flair pens, etc. or could be a tool organizer by the workbench.

Reply to
buffalobill

I wouldn't try to sell the old one to anyone as a dw. Its a potentially dangerous and defective product that has been known to cause house fires.

However I'd strip it of any potentially useful parts (knobs) trays, etc.

I would't expect to have to pay to have it hauled awaay. Scrap metal prices around here being what they are, a local scrap yard might pay 5 - 15 bucks for it as steel scrap.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Wow, some of you people need to relax. Believe me, I had no intention of selling the thing as a dishwasher. As a matter of fact, I had already removed the door and drilled holes in the tub (I'm anal about that kind of stuff). I was more interested in getting something for the spare parts.

Thanks to those who provided a useful response. I DO think I'll keep the fill value and maybe the pump. The recall had to do with the wiring in the door panel. There really isn't much metal in it. The whole dishwasher only weighs about 25 pounds. The controls are all electronic, so I don't see much use for that. That's the kind of thing I'd like to get something for, but I don't see that happening, either. The tub is plastic. Only the front panel is metal, so there's not much for the metal scrap-yard. The local recycle place only charges $15 to drop it off and they're pretty cool, too.

Thanks again,

Greg Wilkerson

Reply to
Greg Wilkerson

Sorry, I don't believe you.

Why would you be worried about getting sued for selling spare parts?

I vote troll.

It is pretty obvious.

Reply to
Terry