1 engine to drive them all - generator, pressure washer, lawn mower

Has anyone come across a solution to the proliferation of small (5 to

8hp) engines? I've a lawnmower, generator, and pressure washer, chipper/shredder and might buy another tool with a 5hp gas engine. I never use more than 1 at a time. I'd like an elegant PTO solution for small engines.
Reply to
gemniii

I feel your pain but I think the solution would be worse than the problem.

Reply to
Sev

Look at that Black and Decker thing where you pull the front off and use it as a drill, saw, sander, and who knows what else. Would you use a lawnmower etc that were that crappy?

What I want is a way to use an automobile as a whole house generator. Think about it, they can drive for an hour at 30mph on one gallon of gas. A 4kw generator uses a gallon gas an hour while doing maybe 5% of the work. Or maybe a NG powered A/C that can also be hooked to a generator.

Reply to
Toller

That doesn't even sound that hard to do. With most cars using a standard differentyial (not limited slip) you would only need to drop one wheel on the drive drum.

Reply to
gfretwell

It has been done for decades with trucks and it might be possible with an automobile too if enough space can be found under the hood. Basically an AC generator is installed via brackets to the engine block and driven by belt from the crankshaft. I'm not sure how the generator was engaged/disengaged from the drive. Most likely it was via a mechanical linkage and might even have been done by slacking the belt tension. But given the efficiency of air conditioner compressor clutches something along that line would be more user-friendly.

These generator sets were routinely used on construction sites to power tools before power lines were installed and probably were capable of 5kW or more.

Reply to
John McGaw

There is an AC generator that takes power from a car or truck. It's the AuraGen from

But, they have to be installed on the vehicle and are not cheap. Very good, just not cheap.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Sounds a little like the David Bradley tractors that Sears used to sell about 50 years ago. (used a long v-belt for the PTO)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Toro used to make a rig like that. They had a reel mower with the engine and handle mounted on a metal plate that fastened with one big hand-screwed bolt. You could take the engine off the mower and move it to other tools. I seem to remember an edger and rototiller, and there were probably others.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Here ya go....

Bill

across a solution to the proliferation of small (5 to

- Look at that Black and Decker thing where you pull the front off and use it

- as a drill, saw, sander, and who knows what else.

- Would you use a lawnmower etc that were that crappy?

It sounds like you are not using your toys in the most efficient manner.

I often use my generator to power the radio while one of my sons grabs the branches off the lawn and puts them in the chipper/shredder while I follow behind with the lawnmower while my other son follows with the pressure washer, cleaning the clippings and chips off the driveway.

It's real noisy, but it's quality family time.

I have to agree with Toller's sentiments but not specifically about the B&D line of products...

In my lifetime I have tried:

A Saw Table - Mount your 7" circular saw under this table and you now own a table saw. A Drill Stand - Strap your hand held drill into this device and you now own a drill press. A Right Angle drill bit holder. - Chuck this into your drill and you now own a right angle drill. etc. etc. etc.

None of these "turn your tool into something else" devices work anywhere near as good as the tool they are supposed to mimic. Whenever you design something to serve multiple purposes, each of the individual purposes are bound to suffer a little.

Designing an engine that could be moved from device to device would probably end up hurting the performance of each device.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or the 1950s & 1960s Gravely (sp.) mowers, you bought the power unit which came on an axle with wheels and attachments that fitted on a coupling on the front and drew power from the engine. Most common were the rotary mower attachment, and there were others but I cannot remember them.

Reply to
EXT

full time compromise, different ideal speeds, time and assle of converting, added costs for the system.

thats why its hard to find today

Reply to
hallerb

Yes - the Gravely is about the type I want, but more for stationary purposes - I forgot the name until you mentioned it. My grandfather and father owned one - tiller, mower/brush hog, snowblower, cart puller and also good for pulling small stumps. Not the BEST at anything, but darned good at everything,

Except for the lawnmower my other uses (and add in a stationary air compressor) are pretty stationary.

As far as the hassle of converting there should be an elegant solution somewhere.

Reply to
gemniii

Also - add in a log splitter :)

Reply to
gemniii

According to DerbyDad03 :

Having played with one or two of the "turn X into Y" devices (especially a circular saw attachment for a drill ;-), I mostly agree.

At the prices/sizes most consumers would pay for, yes.

But tractors and their PTOs are used to do the functions the OP asked about all the time. If you have $10K or more ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

costs too much, messy conversion and time, too many compromises engine speeds mounting etc. the more complex the heavier it weighs and more it costs, and harder for people to use.

engines and motors optimized for a specific use are way easier and less costly

economocally its a loser, or you would see it all the time

Reply to
hallerb