Furnace Motor - Not Blower

My furnace kicked on this AM, but no heat was coming out of the vents. I checked the igniter, and sure enough, the element had burned out. I replaced the igniter and when I turn everything back on, the fan that blows air into the gas changer hums but does not spin. I took it off and am abe to spin the fan very easily. I've read many posts about lubrication, capacitors, etc. What's the best place to start? When I connect the power leads to the fan, it is as if the magnest around the cylinder grab it and prevent it from spinning.

Thanks for any suggestions. Ron

Reply to
Ron

This is Turtle.

Well , Start by replacing the Fire Chamber Vent fan motor or have the bearing replaced in the motor. Depending on the brand and model you may have to replace the whole assembly as motor is part of the blower assembly. Also a lot of these motor can not be taken apart without messing it up.

The Problem is bad Bearing on Motor !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

ESPECIALLY if this is one of the furnaces where the blower was installed horizontally instead of vertically, like my Tempstrash. Condensation collects in the bearing and rusts it out. Design defect IMHO that no one seems willing to live up to in these units. WHen byuying a new furnace, make sure this blower is VERTICAL.

Bob Kaplow