Furnace heat exchanger problems - previously (mistakenly) posted to alt.HVAC

Call the gas company out to confirm the condeming

Reply to
m Ransley

LOL...yea..sure..

Reply to
CBHVAC

I'm not an HVAC expert, but there's not much question about it. The slightest disturbance to the furnace causes LARGE flakes of rust to rain down inside the heat exchanger despite repeated cleaning. One burner is missing about 3 inches at the tip from corrosion, another is falling apart in the same manner though not quite as bad. When running the blower, I can feel air moving through the heat exchanger (with the burners removed). The blower motor has a bad starter winding. The laundry list is pretty high on this furnace. I'm not sure that the gas utility does the inspections, though it sounded like a good idea at first.

Thanks again to everyone who posted with suggestions and ideas. I guess whether the warranty company honors this claim or not, I'll have to replace the furnace. It's not all bad, it gives me a chance to put something better than this oversized, inefficient, unfiltered unit in there.

Reply to
louie

I hope you have a good Co alarm

Reply to
m Ransley

I do, but the house is also unoccupied at the moment as we do some fairly extensive rennovations, gas and power to the furnace are shut off.

Reply to
louie