Furnace Control Board Installation?

I had a repairman over to look at my furnace yesterday. I was having a problem where the furnace would not light up everytime it kicked on. It would start the flue fan but not release gas or light the ignitor when it failed, other times it would work just fine.

The repairman replaced the pressure switch and said it was working better already but that there was a problem with the control board as well. I decided to just have it done(new control board around $260/1yr warranty), but he didnt have it with him and was supposed to come back today.

I've found the board for $128 online and was wondering if it is very difficult to install(repairman said it was easy, but he gives 1yr warranty).

Should I just cancel the board install and see how it goes and install it myself if it continues to fail or should I just have them do it and get the warranty?

The furnace has not failed to function properly since the pressure switch changeout, but it may just be luck or not enough time for it to have failed yet...

Thanks.

Reply to
MattMika

Maybe he just wants to sell you a board

Reply to
m Ransley

So you get a warranty and labor for about $130, plus you get it done right and today rather than with the possibility of issues and some time in the future? I like to do things myself when possible, but that doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

JMHO, of course.

Reply to
CJT

I would be "slightly" skeptical. Parts dont usually fail in pairs. THEY CAN but not usually. You may want to question him why it needs a new board. You may wish to wait and see if the pressure switch alone takes care of it. Id wait and see or get another opinion. You can always get and install the board yourself but as already stated, you'll get no warranty and you may not even need it. Good Luck Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Hi, Pressure switch is very easy to test. It's simple on/off switch triggered by diaphragm at certain pressure range. There just could be some dirt or even drops of water in the air hose. The control board is based on sequential logic. I went thru whole thing on my Carrier furnace just before winter. What kind of error code were you getting? This will give a clue to the cause of the trouble. Lot of times, vibration and heat causes cracked solder joints on board. If you really have bad board, it's easy to replace it by just moving wire harness, plugs one at a time in parallel after turning off power. Some boards are not exact replacement. It cocmes with instruction and wiring adapters, etc. In my case, high Watt resistors on board had poor cooling under the plastic cover and the excess heat caused solder joint crack. I reinforced the joints and drilled a few holes on the cover for more air circulation. Now we're in dead winter and furnace has been working just fine. BTW, error code I was getting was pressure switch(which does not mean it is bad. Just it's a clue. Start trouble-shooting from there. As a retired EE(from Honeywell) I am surprised some HVAC people has very minimal knowledge of electronics. They create lots of wasted time and material. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks to all that have replied and will.

During my lunch break I went home and turned the furnace on and off as many times as I could in an hour and the furnace never failed to fire.

I decided to call and cancel the control board install. If it starts acting up again I can call them back or do it myself, I'll decide which route when and if the time comes.

Reply to
MattMika

Tony...when did you retire? Im just curious if Honeywells quality went to hell before or after.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Hi, In '96, I took a package and ran. Couldn't refuse good deal, LOL. I just turned 65 in Octoboer this year. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

K..just curious...been having a hell of a time with the new lines they have. Im REALLY glad that Robertshaw got their act together and York got bought out by Johnson Controls.. Wasnt flaming, just curious really.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Same thing has been happening with me.., hate to have numb-nuts service kid come out and charge $300 bucks for a small little bread-board thing'y. But, also hate fall'n off the g'dm roof at 66 years of age..!! I think Tony forgot to mention little red light on the board which "blinks" and gives the "codes". If it's steady on, then the board is okay.., if it blinks a number of times, then it does have a problem. Another thing, if you order an electronic part.., you can't usually return it.., I think.., got'a watch for that!! The part I need is the Spark Igniter.., which is $200 dollars alone.., plus the service call.., but then I would have the warranty..!! Sooo, what'a gon'a do..??!!

Reply to
81mm

Oh.., I just looked at mine..., blinking 5 times.., anybody know which code that is? It's got to be the igniter.., anybody know what kind of current comes from the bread board to the igniter? If it's the board.., it's $200 bucks..!!

Reply to
81mm

5 blinks = Get a new board Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

This is Turtle.

No Change the thermostat !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Uh oh... You've got the "Ben Dover" code!!!

Poor bastard...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Its the "if you were qualified to properly diagnose the board you could save about $90" code.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Look at the furnace installation/owners manuals. You should find the code explanation in the troubleshooting section. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Hey guys.., your kill'en me with the come backs.., BUT helping..?? NAHHHH..!! I think the Ben Dover was the right one.., but what about the ideas for replacing the thermo or the board.., huh..?? Which one..?? And don't say both.., I'll sell the house..!! Keep it up guys...!!! I'm an aircraft inspector.., what'a I know..??

Reply to
81mm

I would most likely replace the guy diagnosing the problem with a guy that knows how to dagnose the problem. You see, several of us have access to this really GREAT crystal ball. It comes in handy most of the time. Right now, I have it. It almost always tell me that you need to replace the thermostat because thermostats always cause most of the problems. Now when CBHVAC gets it, it tells him other things because he rubs it with the other hand. :-) Maybe you should come borrow it and see what it tells you. Right now its cloudy so its not telling me anything. I'll have to reboot and try again tomorrow. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I appreciate you!

Today is the international day for the mentally disabled. Please send an encouraging message to a mentally retarded friend--as I have just done for you.

Just thought I'd let your retarded ass know I don't mind being friends with you. I don't care if you lick windows or even if you wear a football helmet to work.

It doesn't bother me that you wear your underwear on the outside of your pants. You hang on in there because you are doing great! You are special, so keep trying!

Have a great day you Goofy Bastard!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Geeez guys.., loads of hostility out there. Now Oscar, where you talk'n to Bubba.., or me.., or us..??!! Better watch it man.., cause Bubba got's them "crystal balls" (smile).., and ain't to be asked questions this early in the morning. Funny what happens when you get on these "friendly" newsgroups..!!

Reply to
81mm