Furnace Blower has hard time starting

I have a furnace blower that takes a long time to start up and sometimes it just wont start. We replaced the motor, but still the same behavior. I forgot to check the capacitor though. Could a bad cap cause that? Its also quite loud when it is running.

Not sure what to do now? My next step is going to be to replace the cap since I don't know what else it could be. ANy tips will be appreciated.

CL

Reply to
dnoyeB

Is it a direct drive or belt driven blower motor?

Reply to
Moe Jones

Belt drive? I'd check the bearings on the blower unit. They do need lubrication periodically.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

it was the cap...

Reply to
dnoyeB

Call a HVAC service company. You're just guessing. Lets see, you replaced the $200 fan motor, but didn't replace the $25 capacitor. Not good.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

His last post said "it was the cap".

Now he's got a spare motor to store under his workbench for 10+ years 'cuz you can't throw away a perfectly good motor.

Anybody want to buy a perfectly good 10+ year old motor from a Whirlpool washer? I've got one under my workbench.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I am the HVAC dude. At least as far as my mom is concerned... Yea, now there is a spare motor in the closet, but so what. Its verry common and can probably sell online no problem. Just as easy to keep it around.

I actually was not guessing about the problem. I always thought it was the cap. What I failed to realize was that the cap was not built into the motor.

Anyway, when mom says fix it, you just fix it...

CL

Reply to
dnoyeB

I can put that next to the 10 year old perfectly good hub from my 1989 Blazer's front wheel drive?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are a good son. Your mother and I are very proud of you. Have another cooky, they are fresh and just the way you like them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) Most motors that require a cap are shipped with the cap. (ASSuming a capacitor run type motor which is routine wih fans.) 2) Even if not, you replaced a $50/75 and didn't determine whether the cap you had was the right size or whether is was good. ** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

I determined the existing cap was bad. I determined the new cap was the right size for the new motor. That also happened to be the right size for the old motor.

Reply to
dnoyeB